UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Adding time constraint - false path for BRAM register

I have a set of registers (2D) that are defined like this in Verilog:

parameter integer NUMBER_OF_SIGNALS     = 8

localparam integer CHANNELS = (NUMBER_OF_SIGNALS * 4);

(* ram_style="block" *)
       reg  [13:0]         phaseinc         [0:(CHANNELS-1)];

I've seen this and tried it as the starting point:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Setting-false-path-from-an-internal-register/td-p/439620

and tried a few different ways,

but I get the error message below:

set_false_path from [get_cells -of_objects [get_pins -of_objects [get_nets siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc*] -filter {DIRECTION == OUT}]]

ERROR: [Common 17-165] Too many positional options when parsing 'siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][10] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][11] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][12] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][13] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][2] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][3] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][4] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][5] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][6] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][7] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][8] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[0][9] siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_reg[12][10]

Any thoughts on how I could specify the phaseinc as a false path since it doesn't change very often in the design?

I've also tried the Timing Constraints editor in Vivado 2016.4:

set_false_path -from [get_pins -hierarchical -filter { PARENT_CELL =~  "*phaseinc*" && DIRECTION == "OUT" }]
 with this message:

Constraints 18.513] set_false_path: list of objects specified for '-from' option contains no valid startpoints....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: Adding time constraint - false path for BRAM register

set_false_path -from [get_cells -of_objects [get_pins -of_objects [get_nets siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc*] -filter {DIRECTION == OUT}]]

Did you simply miss the "-" in front of the word "from"?

Avrum

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

No, the - was there, just pasted in wrong:

set_false_path -from [get_cells -of_objects [get_pins -of_objects [get_nets siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc*] -filter {DIRECTION == OUT}]]
WARNING: [Constraints 18-402] set_false_path: 'siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_i__90' is not a valid startpoint.
Resolution: A valid start point is a main or generated clock pin or port, a clock pin of a sequential cell, or a primary input or inout port. Please validate that all the objects returned by your query belong to this list.
WARNING: [Constraints 18-402] set_false_path: 'siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_i__89' is not a valid startpoint.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

With a nested command like this it is very hard to figure out what it is finding - you should run the command interactively and find out what it is matching.

But presumably there is a pin of at least one combinatorial cell that is driving a net that matches your wildcard name - we know the cell's name (siggen_jesd_axi_v1_0_S00_AXI_inst/U1/phaseinc_i__90) and since it doesn't end in _reg, we know it is probably not a flip-flop (so the error message is correct).

All this being said - I doubt you can do this...

If the 2D array is really being implemented as a block RAM (and from the earlier error messages, it isn't clear that it is), then the  phaseinc "registers" no longer exist; they are part of the RAM array. And even if you could find the block RAM, while the contents of the RAM may be pseudo-static, the output port of the RAM will not - it can change every clock depending on the address and read enable of the RAM...

Avrum

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.  The output of the array is VERY static.  So are you thinking I shouldn't put them in BRAM since they aren't "addressed" and they are vary much a ROM?  I will try removing that declaration and see if it can find them then.

0 Kudos