UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Axi-Stream Interface timing

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have an custom IP that works as an cameralink decoder. IP accepts video as cameralink and gives video as Axi-Stream. There an FIFO between the decoded Cameralink side clock and Axi-Stream side. I am using VDMA (S2MM) to write video data to a memory.

I simulated the entire data flow. I hope that I can simulate the one read transaction in the Axi-Stream, from FIFO. But I dont know the Axi-Stream interface timing requirements.

1. What is the Axi-Stream interface timing? 
  2. Does the Axi-Stream timing depends on the VDMA working mode? 

Best Regards,

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Axi-Stream Interface timing

Jump to solution

Hi

It's simple handshaking interface based on tready and tvalid.

Refer below doc

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_videoip/v1_0/ug934_axi_videoIP.pdf

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-and-Video/Understanding-Video-AXI-Stream-Custom-IP/td-p/751844

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

It's simple handshaking interface based on tready and tvalid.

Refer below doc

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_videoip/v1_0/ug934_axi_videoIP.pdf

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-and-Video/Understanding-Video-AXI-Stream-Custom-IP/td-p/751844

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Hello @yenigal,

Thank you.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Hello Again,

But I want to ask something. Which one( tvalid, tready) should be asserted firstly?

I connected Tready to fifo read enable. And connected fifo valid flag to the Tvalid. In this schema, after the one clock Tready is asserted, tvalid will be asserted. This is problem?

Best Regards,
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t,

There is no requirement about this.

The master can be ready before the slave (tvalid first) or the slave can be ready before the master (tready first).

You just have to know that a data has been sent if both tready and tvalid are high. So the master should send the next sample in the next clock rising edge.

Hope that clarifies,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello @florentw,

Thank you for explaining the hand-shaking mechanism in the Axi-Stream interface. Because of Tready (coming from Slave) signal is connected to the FIFO read_enable pin, Tvalid&Tready hand-shaking mechanism is automatically took place here. 

Regards, 

0 Kudos