Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Clock domain tutorial

Hello,

could someone point me to documentation about multiple clock domain design ? I'm discovering the concept !

I'm a beginner, I did some things with a spartan3, basic examples in vhdl, but always with a single clock at 50MHz on the board.

I read that the ram and the multipliers on that fpga could run above 250MHz.

How can I create a module (using ram and mult) running at 100MHz with other modules running at 50MHz ?

Any simple VHDL code ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Hi @raiatea

Check this document:

https://www.ece.ucsb.edu/its/bluespec/training/BSV/slides/Lec10_Multiple_Clocks.pdf

Regards

Rohit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the link. Multiple clocks looks widely used in SoCs, but I can't find clear examples.

I looked too at the Timing Closure User Guide ug612, p157

I'm thinking about the following :

- use the board clock at 50MHz and a PLL to generate clk0 at 50MHz, and clk2x at 100MHz

- use clk0 for the modules at 50MHz and clk2x for the module at 100MHz

- use a synchronous FIFO for crossing the domains

Any link to a code example in ISE, Vivado, university program, workshop,

or a book chapter about multiple clock design on FPGA ?

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

or you could run everything at 100 mhz, and a clock enable for the slower part of the circuit.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos