UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

High Clock Path Skew for simple design.

I wanted to test Vivado Constraints Wizard so I have written simple entity that xors two 32 bit long vectors in synchronous manner.

I have carried out timing analysis for 100 MHz clock and to my surprise it failed to meet not so rigorous timing constraints. 

After checking violating paths it turned out that Clock Path Skew for some input flip flops equals 4.443 ns.

I do not understand what is the reason of such high value for so simple design. Can anyone explain this?

I attach archived project for reproducing the results.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: High Clock Path Skew for simple design.

Since it meets timing for me, my guess is you're looking at the post synthesis timing report instead of the post implementation timing report.  The post synthesis timing reports are estimates, and often I've found post synthesis holds are estimated to fail.  However, during implementation, the tools do a hold fix, and this almost always fixes hold issues in synchronous designs.  Consequently, I usually ignore post synthesis hold estimate failures.

worksForMe.PNG

Mike
Highlighted
Guide avrumw
Guide

Re: High Clock Path Skew for simple design.

For an input path, it is expected to have a large clock skew (and you have to design the interface to accommodate it).

A static timing path starts at a startpoint and ends at an endpoint. Each of these has a clock.

The startpoint of an input path is the "set_input_delay -clock <clk>" command. Unless you have used a set_clock_latency command, the clock insertion to the startpoint is 0.

The endpoint is a flip-flop inside the FPGA. Assuming <clk> is connected to the port of the FPGA, it has to go through (at least) the IBUF to get into the chip, some routing to a clock buffer, go through the clock buffer, and then go through the clock network to the clock pin of the cell capturing the data. Therefore the clock insertion is the sum of all these delays.

The clock skew is the difference between these. Since the source insertion is 0, the skew is expected to be relatively large.

Avrum