UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

High performance design practices

Jump to solution

Hi,

I read that in Xilinx FPGA design, a reset is redundant unless there is a feedback as there is GSR present in the FPGA that makes all the flip-flop into a known state.

I also read that inorder to use the in-built DSP slices and BRAM, it should have a synchronous reset. However, to use a serial shift register (SRL) there should not be a reset. 

Suppose my design uses BRAM, DSP and SRL, I am confused whether I should really have a reset in my RTL or not???Could anyone clarify my doubts.

Thank you.

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant isaakian
Participant

Re: High performance design practices

Jump to solution

The tools dont require you to use a reset in your RTL to infer block-rams, or DSPs.  Although there is limited support for synchronous resets on the output flop stage(s) you can usually design safely without them.  

As long as your control structures (e.g. Finite state machines or other control processes) use resets and/or enables to correctly capture and qualify when data is valid, you can avoid using resets in most datapath logic.  Typically this requires you to only initilaize (reset) the input stage to pipeline logic, or to run a preset at startup to get a known internal state.

By avoiding resets in the pipeline datapath for DSPs and other LUT based math functions, you can significantly reduce the number of control sets and routing resources required, allowing a much higher operating frequency.  

The exact details of course depends on your design.  Note however, relying on the GSR by itself is rarely viable as you almost always have FSMs or other logic that needs to be reset to a known valid starting state synchronously during both starutp and during operational conditions (e.g. software based reset of hardware datapath etc).

Digital Design Golden Rule: If its not tested - its broken.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Go read Ken Chapman's excellent treatise on reset:

www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp272.pdf

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

Thank you for the reply.

I have already read this document and I totally understand the global reset now. My question is if I don't have a reset in my design, would the tool infer BRAM and DSP slices automatically from RTL (Its mentioned that BRAM and DSP slices both require synchronous reset) ?

regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Jump to solution
On the other hand:
http://www.sunburst-design.com/papers/CummingsSNUG2003Boston_Resets.pdf

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Participant isaakian
Participant

Jump to solution

The tools dont require you to use a reset in your RTL to infer block-rams, or DSPs.  Although there is limited support for synchronous resets on the output flop stage(s) you can usually design safely without them.  

As long as your control structures (e.g. Finite state machines or other control processes) use resets and/or enables to correctly capture and qualify when data is valid, you can avoid using resets in most datapath logic.  Typically this requires you to only initilaize (reset) the input stage to pipeline logic, or to run a preset at startup to get a known internal state.

By avoiding resets in the pipeline datapath for DSPs and other LUT based math functions, you can significantly reduce the number of control sets and routing resources required, allowing a much higher operating frequency.  

The exact details of course depends on your design.  Note however, relying on the GSR by itself is rarely viable as you almost always have FSMs or other logic that needs to be reset to a known valid starting state synchronously during both starutp and during operational conditions (e.g. software based reset of hardware datapath etc).

Digital Design Golden Rule: If its not tested - its broken.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Jump to solution

BRAMs do NOT require synchronous resets - in fact you can NOT use resets of any kind to infer a BRAM.

For BRAM inference, see the section in the XST users guide and follow it closely.

It's almost the same case with DSP48s - here you can have some resets.  Again see the XST users guide.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos