cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Hold Timing Fixes in Synplify Netlist

I am using a netlist synthesized in Synplify for a portion of my design. The netlist is added to Vivado as a .vm file (Verilog netlist). The rest of the design is in Vivado, using the typical "IP Integrator" flow. This is for a Kintex Ultrascale part.

During Implementation, I am unable to achieve timing closure. There are hold violations in paths internal to this Synplify netlist. What’s curious is the hold time violations are constant for these nets that are failing, even after tweaking certain things like Implementation strategies and clock uncertainty parameters. It seems like the tool is not even attempting hold fixes.

Xilinx support has advised me that Vivado sees a Synplify netlist the same as its own, and this shouldn't impact whether hold fixes are applied or not. I was also advised to look for "DONT_TOUCH" or "MARK_DEBUG" attributes that may be preventing fixes, however, I have found none.

Does anyone know of any interactions between Synplify or Vivado that would prevent this? Any settings to tweak? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Is the clock with hold errors external or generated within Synplify netlist ?

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

It is generated external to the Synplify netlist

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Have checked if the clock network is connected to a clock buffer ?

== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==
0 Kudos
Guide
Guide

Why don't you post a complete path report for one of the failing hold time checks?

Avrum

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Yes it is, the clock is generated by a Xilinx MMCM, and then goes through a clock buffer.

And unfortunately, I cannot post a path report. 

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I will add, regarding the data path: the source primitive is SRLC32E (32-bit shift register LUT), there is routing (net) delay, and the destination primitive is SRL16E (16-bit shift register LUT)

0 Kudos