UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer alectronic
Observer

Hold time violation around a PLL with two masters in clock that can't be run at the same time

Jump to solution

Hello ,

I'm not a expert in the subject of fixing hold time violations , so I need help .

After synthesis the timing report shows me a lot of hold time violations between two generated clocks : o_CLOCK1x and o_CLOCK1x_1 .

Hold_Results after synthese.png

After a report_clock , I found that these two clocks can't run at the same time .

o_CLOCK1x is a PLL's output when the master clock is Top_Xapp1249_inst/SDI/GTX_Rx/gtxe2_i/RXOUTCLK and o_CLOCK1x_1 is the same PLL's output when the master clock is i_ANA_CLK .

At the input of this PLL , there is a MUX_CLK between these two master clocks .

Clock_Report.png

So I try the following contraint :

set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group o_CLK1x_1 -group o_CLK1x 

but this contraint do not reduce the total of the number of Hold failing endpoints .

I try  the following contraints too :

set_clock_groups -name Groupe_3 -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks Top_Xapp1249_inst/SDI/GTX_Rx/gtxe2_i/RXOUTCLK] -group [get_clocks -of_objects [get_pin TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/GESTION_CLKs_inst/PLL_SP_inst/PLLE2_BASE_inst/CLKOUT0] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == i_ANA_CLK}]

set_clock_groups -name Groupe_6 -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks i_ANA_CLK] -group [get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/GESTION_CLKs_inst/PLL_SP_inst/PLLE2_BASE_inst/CLKOUT0] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == Top_Xapp1249_inst/SDI/GTX_Rx/gtxe2_i/RXOUTCLK}]

but these contraints do not reduce the total of the number of Hold failing endpoints .

What is the contraint I have to write to reduce this number ?

Thanks in advance

Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer alectronic
Observer

Re: Hold time violation around a PLL with two masters in clock that can't be run at the same time

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

Thank you for your prompt reply .

I just try this following contraint :

set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks I_3] -group [get_clocks I_2]

I do the same for the all CLKs that there is no interaction and the number of the Hold failing Endpoints falls to 46 after synthesis .

This number falls to 0 after implementation .

Good news and thanks for this support .

Regards

Alex

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Observer alectronic
Observer

Re: Hold time violation around a PLL with two masters in clock that can't be run at the same time

Jump to solution

Hello,

I try the following and the number of total decrease from 1188 to 261 . Do you confirm that is the right contraint I have to write?

set_clock_groups -name Groupe_5 -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/GESTION_CLKs_inst/PLL_SP_inst/PLLE2_BASE_inst/CLKOUT0] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == Top_Xapp1249_inst/SDI/GTX_Rx/gtxe2_i/RXOUTCLK}] -group [get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/GESTION_CLKs_inst/PLL_SP_inst/PLLE2_BASE_inst/CLKOUT0] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == i_ANA_CLK}]

Alex

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @alectronic

I'm not sure.

> set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group o_CLK1x_1 -group o_CLK1x 

But this is not correct.

Maybe here is correct description.

set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks o_CLK1x_1] -group [get_clocks o_CLK1x]

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer alectronic
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello,

Now I want to have a look on the hold time violations between I_3 and I_2 .

The synthesis report :

Hold_Results after synthese.png

And the clock report :

Clock_Report_2.png

As you can see , the master clocks is two different PLL's outputs , the PLL I spoke about in my first post .

I tried the following contraint :

set_clock_groups -name Groupe_5 -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/TOP_OUTPUT_inst/top4_Tx_inst/clkgen/loop8.tx_mmcm_adv_inst/CLKIN1] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == o_CLK1x}] -group [get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/TOP_OUTPUT_inst/top4_Tx_inst/clkgen/loop8.tx_mmcm_adv_inst/CLKIN1] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == o_CLKdiv2}]

but in the TCL Console there was displayed the following warning :

WARNING: [Vivado 12-1008] No clocks found for command 'get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/TOP_OUTPUT_inst/top4_Tx_inst/clkgen/loop8.tx_mmcm_adv_inst/CLKIN1] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == o_CLK1x}'.
Resolution: Verify the create_clock command was called to create the clock object before it is referenced.
WARNING: [Vivado 12-1008] No clocks found for command 'get_clocks -of_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/TOP_OUTPUT_inst/top4_Tx_inst/clkgen/loop8.tx_mmcm_adv_inst/CLKIN1] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == o_CLKdiv2}'.
Resolution: Verify the create_clock command was called to create the clock object before it is referenced.

How can I create these two generated clocks : o_CLCK1x  and o_CLKdiv2  coming from two differents output of a PLL?

Thanks in advance .

Alex

0 Kudos
Observer alectronic
Observer

Jump to solution

hi @watari,

Thanks for your reply .

I tried the last contraint you suggested me and the number of failing endpoints  is decreased  from 1188 to 261 , the same as the contraint I have suggested .

Please could you have a look on me last message regarding ""create clocks from PLL's output" ?

Thanks in advance .

Alex

0 Kudos
Observer alectronic
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello ,

With several '' set clock_group - physically_exclusive '' contraints , the number of failing endpoints decrease to 46 .

I can't do anything now . Right ? (There is no more clock's domain crossing)  .

Hope that there is no time violation after implementation .

Clock_Report_3.png

Thanks in advance .

Alex

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @alectronic

I'd like to confirm your current clock settings.

Would you share me the result of report_clocks ?

I think that you don't need like complex setting and you can describe more simple constraints.

Best regards,

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer alectronic
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

Please find attached the file .

Regards

Alex

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @alectronic

Unfortunetly, Vivado does not recognize what you describe. (Refer the result of "report_clocks" command. line from 4 to 61).

It means that you can use these clock settins at get_clocks command.

In this case, there are two solution.

Solution 1)

Change location of clock setting from your description to ex. I_2.

Solution 2)

I'm not sure. But I suggest using get_object command instead of -of_objects.

Because of "get_clocks" command requests clock object.

Best regards,

[get_clocks [get_objects [get_pins TOP_HDMI_SDI_ANA_inst/TOP_OUTPUT_inst/top4_Tx_inst/clkgen/loop8.tx_mmcm_adv_inst/CLKIN1] -filter {IS_GENERATED && MASTER_CLOCK == o_CLK1x}]]

0 Kudos
Observer alectronic
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

Thank you for your prompt reply .

I just try this following contraint :

set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group [get_clocks I_3] -group [get_clocks I_2]

I do the same for the all CLKs that there is no interaction and the number of the Hold failing Endpoints falls to 46 after synthesis .

This number falls to 0 after implementation .

Good news and thanks for this support .

Regards

Alex

View solution in original post