UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer swseo83
Observer

How to align the phase of the output clock which is generated by MMCM to input clock.

Jump to solution

How can I align the phase of the output clock generated by MMCM to input clock.

Please take a look at the attached figure.

clk_usb is input clock in the FPGA, and clk_main is output clock generated by MMCM.

We set "Phase Alignment", when it is generated, but, as you can see,

The propagation delay for input to output is about 0.24 ns. This is critical for our project.

Please help us solve this problem.

Thank you very much.

MatchingMMCMClockingPhase.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: How to align the phase of the output clock which is generated by MMCM to input clock.

Jump to solution

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here, and I don't know what you are measuring.

If a 0.24ns delay is "critical for your project" then you have a BIG problem. Nothing in an FPGA (or ASIC) can ever be guaranteed to have an "exact" delay. All digital logic has variation. Even the best PLL cannot phase match to exactly 0, there is always some phase error. And if you are going through any logic at all, then the variation in that logic is going to have far more variability than 240ps.

So, whatever you are doing, you need to take a step back. If you are doing anything "normal" than a delay of 0.24 (or even quite a bit more significant than this) is harmless, expected, and fully dealt with in a synchronous design flow. If a delay like this is "critical" to your design, then either there is something you don't understand about how digital systems normally operate or you are doing something very unusual, and something that is probably either impossible or at least VERY complicated to accomplish in an FPGA.

Avrum

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: How to align the phase of the output clock which is generated by MMCM to input clock.

Jump to solution

Hi @swseo83

I'm not familiar with Clocking Wizard IP.

But I guess, this flow is helpful for you.

1. Click MMCM settins tab on Clocking Wizard IP

2. Check Allow Override Mode

3. Set 0.24[ns] on CLKFBOUT_PHASE

4. You can generate phase shifted clock on MMCM.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here, and I don't know what you are measuring.

If a 0.24ns delay is "critical for your project" then you have a BIG problem. Nothing in an FPGA (or ASIC) can ever be guaranteed to have an "exact" delay. All digital logic has variation. Even the best PLL cannot phase match to exactly 0, there is always some phase error. And if you are going through any logic at all, then the variation in that logic is going to have far more variability than 240ps.

So, whatever you are doing, you need to take a step back. If you are doing anything "normal" than a delay of 0.24 (or even quite a bit more significant than this) is harmless, expected, and fully dealt with in a synchronous design flow. If a delay like this is "critical" to your design, then either there is something you don't understand about how digital systems normally operate or you are doing something very unusual, and something that is probably either impossible or at least VERY complicated to accomplish in an FPGA.

Avrum

0 Kudos