cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to determine when to contrain a clock signal?

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I looking for some clarification on constraining clock signals. I have a differential clock coming in through the FMC on clock capable pins. I have constrained this clock using

CLKOUTAP/CLKOUTAN --> IBUFDS --> BUFG --> clka

create_clock -name clka - period 12.412 [ get_ports CLKOUTAP]

I then use clka to as input to a mmcm (using clock wizard) to multiply by 2.

Should I need to constrain the output of the mmcm using create_generated_clock?

I read in ug903 that auto generated clocks do not need to be manually constrained. Wouldn't this mmcm be an auto-generated clock. 

I am using kc705 eval brd, vivado 2016.1

Thank you for your time

Adam Gropp

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Vivado automatically creates generated clocks on the outputs of known "clock modifying blocks". For the moment, these are

- MMCM

- PLL

- BUFR (which can do integer division)

All other clocks need to be manually constrained

- Input ports (create_clock)

- gated clocks (create_generated_clock)

- ideally using BUFGCE/BUFHCE, but technically even fabric generated clocks can be constrained

- fabric generated clocks are not recommended

- forwarded output clocks generated by an output flip-flip, ODDR or OSERDES (create_generated_clock)

Clocks propagate normally through buffers (BUFG, BUFH, BUFR in pass-through mode, BUFIO) and even combinatorial logic (not recommended).

Avrum

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Vivado automatically creates generated clocks on the outputs of known "clock modifying blocks". For the moment, these are

- MMCM

- PLL

- BUFR (which can do integer division)

All other clocks need to be manually constrained

- Input ports (create_clock)

- gated clocks (create_generated_clock)

- ideally using BUFGCE/BUFHCE, but technically even fabric generated clocks can be constrained

- fabric generated clocks are not recommended

- forwarded output clocks generated by an output flip-flip, ODDR or OSERDES (create_generated_clock)

Clocks propagate normally through buffers (BUFG, BUFH, BUFR in pass-through mode, BUFIO) and even combinatorial logic (not recommended).

Avrum

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@avrumw Awesome thank you very much. I believe I was able to see vivado create the constraint. I had constrained the clock output and vivado gave a critical warning stating that a constraint override took place. The previous constraint was self generated and the new constraint was the one I made. Thank you for your time.

Adam

0 Kudos