UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to determine when to contrain a clock signal?

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I looking for some clarification on constraining clock signals. I have a differential clock coming in through the FMC on clock capable pins. I have constrained this clock using

CLKOUTAP/CLKOUTAN --> IBUFDS --> BUFG --> clka

create_clock -name clka - period 12.412 [ get_ports CLKOUTAP]

I then use clka to as input to a mmcm (using clock wizard) to multiply by 2.

Should I need to constrain the output of the mmcm using create_generated_clock?

I read in ug903 that auto generated clocks do not need to be manually constrained. Wouldn't this mmcm be an auto-generated clock. 

I am using kc705 eval brd, vivado 2016.1

Thank you for your time

Adam Gropp

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: How to determine when to contrain a clock signal?

Jump to solution

Vivado automatically creates generated clocks on the outputs of known "clock modifying blocks". For the moment, these are

- MMCM

- PLL

- BUFR (which can do integer division)

All other clocks need to be manually constrained

- Input ports (create_clock)

- gated clocks (create_generated_clock)

- ideally using BUFGCE/BUFHCE, but technically even fabric generated clocks can be constrained

- fabric generated clocks are not recommended

- forwarded output clocks generated by an output flip-flip, ODDR or OSERDES (create_generated_clock)

Clocks propagate normally through buffers (BUFG, BUFH, BUFR in pass-through mode, BUFIO) and even combinatorial logic (not recommended).

Avrum

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Vivado automatically creates generated clocks on the outputs of known "clock modifying blocks". For the moment, these are

- MMCM

- PLL

- BUFR (which can do integer division)

All other clocks need to be manually constrained

- Input ports (create_clock)

- gated clocks (create_generated_clock)

- ideally using BUFGCE/BUFHCE, but technically even fabric generated clocks can be constrained

- fabric generated clocks are not recommended

- forwarded output clocks generated by an output flip-flip, ODDR or OSERDES (create_generated_clock)

Clocks propagate normally through buffers (BUFG, BUFH, BUFR in pass-through mode, BUFIO) and even combinatorial logic (not recommended).

Avrum

View solution in original post

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@avrumw Awesome thank you very much. I believe I was able to see vivado create the constraint. I had constrained the clock output and vivado gave a critical warning stating that a constraint override took place. The previous constraint was self generated and the new constraint was the one I made. Thank you for your time.

Adam

0 Kudos