UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

PLL lock signal timing

How long does it take the lock output of a PLL to respond, when the input clock is missing.

This information cannot be found on the datasheet of the 7 series.

2 Replies
Participant evant_nq
Participant

Re: PLL lock signal timing

hi 999068709169,

i tried looking this up, if it's in any of the 7 series documentation, it's not obvious.

You are asking how many ns it takes for the lock to de-assert after the input clock stops?

I might think that if you look at the get_speed_models, of the arc through the MMCM for the lock pin, that value might reflect a reasonable estimate of the time from the clock input to the locked that you could expect, but that's just a guess.

0 Kudos

Re: PLL lock signal timing

@999068709169

As evant_nq says, its not obvious from the documention.

However, I find on page 83 of UG472 for MMCM/PLL that, “LOCKED will be deasserted within one PFD clock cycle if the input clock stops..”.

From Kintex-7 datasheet (DS182, page 47), the minimum frequency, PLL_FPFDMIN, of the Phase Frequency Detector (PFD) is 19MHz.  So, LOCKED should be deasserted within 1/19MHz=53ns after the input clock stops.

Cheers,
Mark

0 Kudos