UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Post-implementation timing simulation crash: Vivado/2018.2/bin/loader: line 194: 20953 Killed "$RDI_PROG" "$@"

Every time I try to run post-implementation timing simulation, I get the posted error message in my Tcl console one to two hours into the elaborate step. As far as I can tell, there is no error file created. The elaborate.log file seems pretty normal:

Vivado Simulator 2018.2                                                                                                                                                                         
Copyright 1986-1999, 2001-2018 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.                                                                                                                                
Running: /home/mapsa/Vivado/2018.2/bin/unwrapped/lnx64.o/xelab -wto 203b8338afda4ca698fc11a22157fa48 --incr --debug typical --relax --mt off --maxdelay -L xil_defaultlib -L simprims_ver -L sec
ureip --snapshot tracklet_L2_tb_time_impl -transport_int_delays -pulse_r 0 -pulse_int_r 0 -pulse_e 0 -pulse_int_e 0 xil_defaultlib.tracklet_L2_tb xil_defaultlib.glbl -log elaborate.log        
Turned off multi-threading.                                                                                                                                                                     
Starting static elaboration                                                                                                                                                                     
Completed static elaboration                                                                                                                                                                    
Starting simulation data flow analysis                                                                                                                                                          
Completed simulation data flow analysis                                                                                                                                                         

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Post-implementation timing simulation crash: Vivado/2018.2/bin/loader: line 194: 20953 Killed "$RDI_PROG" "$@"

Hi @bennett.gberg,

Try Calling up Vivado with a larger stack size. This might allow the tool to finish what it was doing.

For example:- 

Vivado -stack 2000

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Chinmay

0 Kudos

Re: Post-implementation timing simulation crash: Vivado/2018.2/bin/loader: line 194: 20953 Killed "$RDI_PROG" "$@"

Hi Chinmay,

I tried this and got the same error (but with different number right before 'Killed'). The error also occurred after only about half an hour this time.

0 Kudos

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

It appears that the reason for the crash was that my machine ran out of memory (18 GB). How much memory is normally needed to run the post-implementation timing simulation for ultrascale+ chips? (The part number for the chip I'm using is xcvu9p-flga2104-2L-e).

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @bennett.gberg,

Thanks for reporting it back, 

The memory recommendation for XCVU9P devices is as follows:-

Typical : 20 GB, 

Peak : 32 GB.

Xilinx recommends to have at minimum enough physical system memory to handle the peak memory usage.  (Please refer to  Memory Recommendations for more information)

0 Kudos

I added more memory to my machine, up to 32 GiB (the maximum my machine can house), and even this was not enough. The elaborate step still crashed on the same line after using up all 32 GiB. Is there anything I can do to reduce the memory usage of the simulation (besides cutting down the size of the design)?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @bennett.gberg,

Can you try running timing simulation in a example design given in Vivado and check if there also you are getting the same error, in that way we can confirm if the issue is design specific or machine specific. Also, once try running your design in Vivado 2018.3. Please let me know if it passes there.

Thanks,

Chinmay 

0 Kudos

Hi Chinmay,

I was able to get the simulation working when I cut down the size of my design (I had a generate loop creating 5 copies of a large module and I reduced this to just 1). So I think the issue was design specific. I will try simulating the full design in Vivado 2018.3 and report back.

The same crash occurred in Vivado 2018.3-- the elaborate step used up all of the available memory and then crashed.

0 Kudos