UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer awoz92gmu
Observer

Post route timing summary different in GUI than in report file?

My question is why is it that often after completing a build, when I open the post_route.dcp checkpoint file and generate a "Report Timing Summary" the timing results will indicate the the build pasted timing,

but then when I open the "post_route_timing_summary.rpt" report file the timing results are different and show that the build has failed timing?

I attached screenshots of the two different results. 

Thanks, 

Tags (3)
post_route_dcp_timing_summary.PNG
post_route_timing_summary_rpt.PNG
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Post route timing summary different in GUI than in report file?

Depending on your project setup and run configuration the tools may be doing further optimizations after the initial routing is complete.  Look for newer DCPs and reports.

Are you actually sure these are for the same project/run?  Looking at the Endpoint counts it seems like you are looking at two different designs.  The GUI shows 191K setup endpoints but the text report shows 1.8M.

That GUI report will be for whichever run is set as active (as indicated by the bold) not whichever has been run most recently

Observer awoz92gmu
Observer

@necare81 It must be doing further optimizations after the post_route.dcp is created, that's the only thing that would make any sense becuase I'm 99.99% sure both files are from the same project. Also I'm not building from the GUI just opening the post_route.dcp in the GUI. 

0 Kudos

Hi @awoz92gmu , 

Which Vivado version are you using? 

Can you share your testcase to reproduce this issue at our end? 

We need to investigate why both reports show different values. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Observer awoz92gmu
Observer

I'm using Vivado 2017.2, and sorry I can't share any files or project specifics due to company policy. 

0 Kudos
Observer awoz92gmu
Observer

My build process is:

My build is run from a python script.

Synthesis with Synplify Premiere --> Place & Route with Vivado 2017.2

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Are you literally just doing "open_dcp"  or are you opening the dcp and runing a timing report?

Are you using project mode or non project mode?  Have you ever used project mode in that directory.

Just openning the DCP will not generate a timing report in the GUI, it is probably using an old report that was generated as part of a project run or in the GUI and that is what you are seeing when you open the GUI.   Make sure you dont have any old .pb, .rpt, or .rpx files in any directories associated with the design.

0 Kudos
Observer awoz92gmu
Observer

No I'm opening the post route dcp checkpoint (it's not in project mode), then running the timing report. No I've never used project mode in the directory. I never open the Vivado GUI when building. 

0 Kudos

Hi @awoz92gmu , 

It will be difficult if you cannot share the required files to debug this issue. 

Try with Vivado 2019.1 and make sure you are using a supported OS for specific Vivado versions. For that look into UG 973. 

Also, one point for debugging this issue - remove all the constraints in your design (keep the only clock generating constraints) And then compare post route timing summary and GUI report file. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos