UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jefedenorsk
Observer

Route estimate meets timing, but summary does not

I'm using Vivado 2016.4 (Kintex Ultrascale) and have a design where hold timing is the difficult thing to meet.  I've done some clock tree balancing with global buffers, but it's an ASIC design I can't change much. 

I have a non-project mode build script that goes through the normal (opt/place/phys_opt/route) steps.  I've noticed I can then run phys_opt/route again to improve hold timing and after doing that twice the router finishes with:

Phase 10 Post Router Timing
INFO: [Route 35-57] Estimated Timing Summary | WNS=0.000 | TNS=0.000 | WHS=0.025 | THS=0.000 |

However, when I run report_timing_summary it fails on 123 end points (WHS -0.076, THS -2.625).

I realize the router is making an estimate, but I'm curious if it isn't realizing that hold wasn't met and giving up too early?  Ideally I'd fix the clock network to balance all the synchronous clocks, but outside that is repeatedly running phys_opt_design -hold_fix and routing again reasonable/safe?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Route estimate meets timing, but summary does not

Hi @jefedenorsk

Try using different place and route directives. As the hold is failing by 76ps it might help. Please post the report_timing_summary log file here,

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Observer jefedenorsk
Observer

Hi Deepika,

I'm not able to share the full timing report, but here is a general summary of each stage of the build which might help:

Stage        Time  tnsFailingEp        whs            ths   thsFailingEp  thsTotalEp
          Synth           0             0  -0.333000   -1452.589000          20403      187277
     opt_design    00:01:08             0  -0.333000   -6975.234000          52308      187276
   place_design    00:14:02             0  -3.221000  -16354.364000          22574      187276
phys_opt_design    00:23:46             0  -2.849000  -16170.429000          22510      187291
   route_design    02:01:17             0  -0.963000     -48.244000            674      187291
phys_opt_design    00:32:20             0  -0.430000     -40.233000            654      187291
   route_design    02:39:52             0  -1.516000     -14.927000            356      187291
phys_opt_design    00:25:56             0  -1.483000     -25.421000            348      187291
   route_design    02:06:57             0  -0.076000      -2.625000            123      187291

There are about 70 clocks defined and several are FF dividers.  Balancing the clock skew on synchronous clocks would be the ideal solution for sure.

First calls:

opt_design      -sweep -remap -propconst

place_design    -directive ExtraTimingOpt

phys_opt_design -directive ExploreWithHoldFix

route_design    -directive AdvancedSkewModeling

The additional phys_opt_design calls are with -hold_fix only. Additional route_design is -directive AdvancedSkewModeling.  I've since tried some other build flows similar to this and seen the hold time increase, so I'm guessing this isn't a consistent strategy. I also noticed I have set_param  route.enableHoldExpnBailout 1 in that script, which seems to still give similar results (almost identical) but take less time.  Maybe that parameter is why the router hold estimate didn't match the timing summary?

I'm happy to try other options, but was mainly posting to understand if the router did not realize hold time was still failing.  Now that I realize enableHoldExpnBailout was on, maybe that explains it.  I'm still a bit surprised it reports 0 THS though.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess you are doing ASIC prototyping.
In FPGA "There are about 70 clocks defined and several are FF dividers" fabric generated clocks are not recommended. We have special clock dedicated buffers for clock, check if there is any possibility to port your clocks to clock dedicated routing using buffer, rather than using fabric routing (when you use FF output as clock it routes through fabric routing and have high clock skew).

Also, as you have 70 clocks in design which is very high in number, I am sure all clocks cannot be synchronous to one another. How you are handling the CDC paths here?

Is constraints of your design cover the all paths, exceptions and clock group requirements?

You can generate clock_interaction_report and see if there are any ORANGE/RED colors if yes then those need proper handling.

Note: In Vivado all clocks consider as synchronous unless specify by user.

Thanks,
Yash
P.S. It was general suggestion to verify violations as we cannot rely completely on strategies when there are some constraints missing.
0 Kudos
Observer jefedenorsk
Observer

Hi Yash,

Thanks for the input.  A little more background:

Yes, this is an ASIC prototype build and I totally understand having all the fabric generated clocks are discouraged.  I'm very familiar with designs for FPGAs, but this is my first ASIC prototype.  Their goal is to avoid changing the code as much as possible to also emulate their clock design.  Due to the number of dividers and clock muxes there isn't an easy path to Xilinx clock resources for all clocks.  On the plus side the clock rate is <20mhz and setup is not an issue. 

Most of the design actually is synchronous to a divided and undivided clock with lots of clock gating.  The constraints were carried over from the ASIC and appear to cover all the CDC cases.  The problem is definitely high skew caused by all the clock gates/dividers on synchronous clocks.  The real issue is the number of functional clock gates throughout the design from what I can tell.

Ideally I'm hoping to get code changes to at least balance the clock logic paths and minimize some of the skew.

We've tried using Synplify Pro clock gate conversion, but it ended up partially converting a lot of clocks which lead to even more skew problems.  I will be keeping my eye out for good spots to use Xilinx resources to simplify things, but a lot of the gating is functionally required and not easy to replace.

I'm happy to get any suggestions related to this problem. 

I'm still curious if the Vivado router could think it met timing and finish when in reality if hasn't met timing on some nets.  Or maybe it really couldn't do any better and knew it wasn't done, but due to rounding or something it reports 0 timing errors in the estimate?

0 Kudos
Observer jefedenorsk
Observer

Also, I ran report_clock_interaction and it looks ok, although I hadn't looked at that previously.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi,

No timing reporting never does rounding.
If there is minimum violation of lets say 0.001ns it should report that too. If there is violations on in timing report (post-route) then we really need to solve those.

I am just curious are those violations under *async* group?

If possible share the implementation log and post-route timing report.
Run command: report_timing_summary -file report.rpt -delay_type min_max -max_paths 10

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
Observer jefedenorsk
Observer

I don't think I could share the full report due to all the path info.  The failures are not in the async section.  The failures are a mix of Intra/Inter clock paths but all on synchronous paths that have logic (gates/muxes) in the clock path.  Being an ASIC emulation effort we don't really want to modify that if possible.

Also to be clear, the "report_timing_summary" output does show these failures.  It's the "route_design" summary that I'm talking about, which clearly says it is *estimated* timing, but no negative slack. 

If I look at a timing report for the worst failing path, the setup check has ~100ns of slack, but hold fails by 76 ps.  It seems like that would be something it should be able to fix...  That's why I wonder if the router some how overlooks this small failure.

0 Kudos
Observer jefedenorsk
Observer

Also, routing congestion is ~60% horizontal/vertical... so I'd think routing longer paths would be possible although some nets are already around 2.5ns.

0 Kudos