cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diverger
Adventurer
Adventurer

Source or System Synchronous when the data is clocked in by a clock generated by FPGA

Hi,

I have an ADC clocked by a clock generated by the Zynq,  then which synchronous constraint I should use? 

Thanks. 

6 Replies
viviany
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What is the period and phase relationship between the ADC source clock and the capture clock in FPGA?

-vivian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
0 Kudos
diverger
Adventurer
Adventurer

@viviany 

The ADC data will be clocked out by the rising or falling edge (it can be configured). Assuming using rising edge to clock out the data, the data will be valid 5ns after the rising edge.

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

As an asside, 

is the clock form the FPGA constant, and is it used by the ADC to sample the analog input ?

If so , you need to check that the clock is clean enough to get the required number of bits from the ADC, 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
avrumw
Guide
Guide

I have an ADC clocked by a clock generated by the Zynq,  then which synchronous constraint I should use? 

Both... Neither...

There is no official name for this kind of an interface, I refer to it as "worse than system synchronous". Take a look at this post on worse than system synchronous interfaces and their constraints.

Avrum

0 Kudos
diverger
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yes, the clock is used by ADC to sample the input. And the clock from FPGA may be changed at runtime, it will be generated using Clocking Wizard.

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

https://training.ti.com/understanding-clock-jitter-impact-adc-snr

What is your max sampling frequency, your max analog bandwidth and the number of bits in the adc ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos