cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager

The right approach to get pins/cells in deep hierarchy design.

I always have hard time to get a pin or a cell in deep hierarchy. E.g. I have module "A", I instatiaed it as "a_inst", inside it has a submodule B, inside B I has a submodule C, I also instantiated them as "b_inst", "c_inst". Then I try to get a pin from C for my constrain like "get_pins a_inst/b_inst/c_inst/D". But in some cases, I can't get it.

This problem is especially worse when I try to get pins from a Xilinx IP. Somethimes, I try to follow the hierarchy path but Vivado always report there is no that pin or cell. 

I just wonder what is the right approach to get pins/cells in deep hierarchy module? Is there any standard approach that will work for all (at least most) cases?

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
avrumw
Expert
Expert

The "best" way is to do what you described, but do it right... If the hierarchy isn't flattened, then the full hierarchical path to a pin is consistently named as a_inst/b_inst/c_inst/D.

In Vivado, it is important to note, though, that the pin's name is not a_inst/b_inst/c_inst/D. Vivado is aware of the hierarchy, and the hierarchy is real. The pin name is actually "c_inst/D", inside the hierarchical object b_inst, which is inside the hierarchical object a_inst (assuming hierarchy hasn't been flattened). So the / means two separate things; the final / is a character - part of the name c_inst/D. The other / are hierarchy separations, which are not characters.

This is important to understand for wildcarding... This pin will NOT be captured by [get_pins *c_inst/d], since the slashes before c_inst are not characters. It would be matched by [get_pins */*/c_inst/d], since that is saying "look for c_inst/d two levels of hierarchy down".  However, since the last / is a character [get_cells a_inst/b_inst/c_in*d] would match it.

You could also use [get_pins -hier c_inst/d]; this means look for a net named c_inst/d anwhere in the hierarchy. But this is sloppy, since there may be other things named c_inst/d somewhere else in the hierarchy. You cannot, however, mix the -hier option with a partial hierarchical path; for example [get_nets -hier b_inst/c_inst/d] will not work.

It is important to note that this is very different from how UCF worked. In UCF, the hierachy separator was just a character, and you could use PIN *c_inst/D to match the pin anywhere in the hierarchy, since the * would match "a_inst/b_inst/". You can (but should try to avoid) mimic this behaviour by using the -filter option 

[get_pins -filter {NAME =~ *c_inst/D}]

will match your pin in a UCF like style - but, this should be avoided.

Note: If hierarchy is flattened, the rules change. If hierarchy is rebuilt, then this should work, but I don't trust it (which is why I always use flatten_hierarchy set to none).

As for IP, you shouldn't reach down into Xilinx IP. From version to version of the core, the structure can change - so the hierarchical path could change. I am not sure why you would need to do this; you should restrict yourself to using the pins of the IP (and use things like all_fanin and all_fanout if you need to get to the startpoint/endpoint of static timing paths that start/end in the IP).

Avrum

Tags (3)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I have attached file with this query. The .xdc file is generated during the FIFO core generation. Four such cores are used.  Is this contraint should be given? Four four core can i use as i mentioned in the previous query

0 Kudos
avrumw
Expert
Expert

As @nagabhar mentioned in another reponse to this question (and also pointed out that you shouldn't post the same or similar questions to multple boards/threads simultaneously), this looks like a Xilinx IP generated XDC file. You shouldn't need to do anything at all to the .xdc file - it will be added to the project and scoped appropriately by the tools automatically when the IP is created or read in to the project.

Avrum

0 Kudos
muh_ali
Adventurer
Adventurer

Nice post!

0 Kudos