UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jimcolaco
Visitor

Timing analysis for different temperature grade parts

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a design targeted to a Kintex 7 FPGA and I had to do some timing analysis on this.

I am using an industrial grade part in the ISE 14.6 tool.

The PAR report mentions that the analysis is done over the temperature range of 0 - 85 degrees.

Is it possible to change this setting?

I did search other answers and found out that a single speed file is used and 85 degrees corresponds to 100 degrees in industrial grade parts.

Can we also assume that 0 degrees corresponds to -40 degrees for industrial parts too?

I just want to ensure that hold time violations will not occur below 0 degree.

My design does meet all timing requirements in the range of 0 - 85 but the slack is very close to 0 (1 ps at minimum).

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Timing analysis for different temperature grade parts

Jump to solution

Hi, @jimcolaco ,

For 7-series device, TEMPERATURE prorating is not supported. 

For the device with same package and speed grade, the speed model for commercial device (0~85) is same as the one of industrial device (-40~100).  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@jimcolaco,

I have a design targeted to a Kintex 7 FPGA and I had to do some timing analysis on this.

I am using an industrial grade part in the ISE 14.6 tool.

Allow me to point out a blunder. For 7 series FPGAs, ISE tool is NOT recommended.  Use Vivado.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor jimcolaco
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks for the reply @dpaul24
This is a legacy design. I just did a few enhancements without changing any other project specific settings.
Just wanted some help in understanding the timing analysis targeting different temperature grades.
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Regarding the slack,

If the report say sit works at 0 degrees, then Xilinx have taken care of al the Process, voltage , temprature, self heating questoins for you , and built in an 'appropreate' safety margin.

QED. if it says its Ok at 0 degrees, than its Ok,

no need to add your own margin,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

This might help 'for some devices'

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/pce_p_operatingconditions.htm

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Visitor jimcolaco
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply @drjohnsmith .

I know for a fact that older devices had an option for prorating using the TEMPERATURE constraint.

I believe this constraint unfortunately is not supported for the 7 series devices.

I am hoping that Trace will guarantee operation throughout the temperature range for industrial parts but I wanted a confirmation of the same from anyone at Xilinx or anyone that has interacted with Xilinx about this.

I have a PAR report for another project targeting Virtex-4 which contains a clear mention of the temperature range being -40 degrees to 100 degrees.

The Kintex 7 PAR report however mentions only 0 degrees to 85 degrees.

Capture.JPGLeft : Virtex-4 PAR report Right : Kintex7 PAR report

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, @jimcolaco ,

For 7-series device, TEMPERATURE prorating is not supported. 

For the device with same package and speed grade, the speed model for commercial device (0~85) is same as the one of industrial device (-40~100).  

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

Visitor jimcolaco
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi @hongh,
Thanks for clearing the confusion.
As you have suggested, I will consider the timing report to hold true for all temperature grades.
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Id imagine the virtex was a industrial or such part, whilst the kintex is the comercial part.

hence the temprature difference.

Sorry about the config constraint not working, I was wondering if the 7 was supported,

0 Kudos