UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor csk206x
Visitor

Timing constraint error when increase the spartan-6 Microblaze clock freq to 200Mhz

Hi,

I am using Spartan-6 FPGA SP605 evaluation Kit and trying to increase the spartan-6 to 200 Mhz, however ISE tool updating the timing model, It encountered error:pack:1653

ERROR:Pack:1653 - At least one timing constraint is impossible to meet because component delays alone exceed the constraint. A timing constraint summary below shows the failing constraints (preceded with an Asterisk (*)). Please use the Timing Analyzer (GUI) or TRCE (command line) with the Mapped NCD and PCF files to identify which constraints and paths are failing because of the component delays alone. If the failing path(s) is mapped to Xilinx components as expected, consider relaxing the constraint. If it is not mapped to components as expected, re-evaluate your HDL and how synthesis is optimizing the path. To allow the tools to bypass this error, set the environment variable XIL_TIMING_ALLOW_IMPOSSIBLE to 1.

One thing that I notice is when creating the system using BSB, the clock wizard only allow to configure the max microblaze clock freq to 90Mhz. Is this the limitation of the spartan-6 board that i am using? Only able to configure the microblaze frequency to 200Mhz after I checked the box for Enable full dynamic range of clock frequencies (allow 1Mhz to 1000Mhz for spartan6-3 )

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Timing constraint error when increase the spartan-6 Microblaze clock freq to 200Mhz

This error message means that even if the route delays were zero the timing constraint of 200 MHz cannot be met.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Timing constraint error when increase the spartan-6 Microblaze clock freq to 200Mhz

Just because you can request a clock frequency doesn't mean that the logic you are trying to put in the FPGA will run at that frequency.

Microblaze is a great bit of engineering, but getting it to run at 200MHz in S6 is asking a little too much.

Martin Thompson
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/electronic-hardware
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@csk206x wrote:

Hi,

I am using Spartan-6 FPGA SP605 evaluation Kit and trying to increase the spartan-6 to 200 Mhz, however ISE tool updating the timing model, It encountered error:pack:1653

ERROR:Pack:1653 - At least one timing constraint is impossible to meet because component delays alone exceed the constraint. A timing constraint summary below shows the failing constraints (preceded with an Asterisk (*)). Please use the Timing Analyzer (GUI) or TRCE (command line) with the Mapped NCD and PCF files to identify which constraints and paths are failing because of the component delays alone. If the failing path(s) is mapped to Xilinx components as expected, consider relaxing the constraint. If it is not mapped to components as expected, re-evaluate your HDL and how synthesis is optimizing the path. To allow the tools to bypass this error, set the environment variable XIL_TIMING_ALLOW_IMPOSSIBLE to 1.

One thing that I notice is when creating the system using BSB, the clock wizard only allow to configure the max microblaze clock freq to 90Mhz. Is this the limitation of the spartan-6 board that i am using? Only able to configure the microblaze frequency to 200Mhz after I checked the box for Enable full dynamic range of clock frequencies (allow 1Mhz to 1000Mhz for spartan6-3 )

It sounds like the tools know the maximum clock frequency attainable for MicroBlaze in the particular FPGA and speed grade in question. (This is not a function of the board, it's a function of the chosen FPGA device.) Since the tools know that the MicroBlaze won't go much faster than 90 MHz in that chip, they won't let you select a higher clock frequency.

When you tried to target 200 MHz, the tools told you that the logic itself for some paths (doesn't matter what they are) in the MicroBlaze design cannot go that fast, hence the errors.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor csk206x
Visitor

Okay. It sound like the limit of the Spartan-6 chip that i am using.

Besides using the BSB tool, is there any document specify the max speed limit of Spartan-6 microblaze can be running?

Thanks 

0 Kudos