Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Timing constraint for this situation

Jump to solution

Hi guys, 

I have a design that includes 2 modules, syncrhonous to each other, A & B, using the same clock "clk". 

However, A has to run in 2 modes where the clock "clk" may be either 150 or 300MHz.

In 150Mhz mode, Both A & B run, A & B talk to each other.

In 300MHz mode, the whole module B is not used,  and will be disabled. 

Question: how to set constraint  the clock inside B to be 150M and the clock outside B 300MHz.. I don't like to have any buffer. Any idea?

When I apply constraint to the clock net under B, it overwrites the previous clock setting, for example

create_clock -name shared_clk -period 3.333 [get_nets clk]

create_clock -name B_clk -period 6.666 [get_nets instance_B/B_clk]

Then the shared_clk disappear. 

What's the correct way to set constraints for this situation?

Thanks!!!

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Jeff,

I agree that in your case Brucey's suggestion won't work.

And I don't think Deepika's suggestion will work as well, as -add will only cause an additional 150MHz clock, not overload the 300MHz clock.

I think the following should work:

1) constrain everything as 300MHz

2) constrain everything as 150MHz

3) overload (do not specify -add) the clock input of module B with only a 150MHz clock

4) make sure Vivado doesn't see cross-clock paths between 300MHz and 150MHz

create_clock -name clock_300MHz -period 3.333 [get_nets clk]
create_clock -name clock_150MHz -period 6.666 [get_nets clk]
create_generated_clock -name B_clk -source [get_pins instance_B/B_clk] \
-divide_by 1 [get_nets instance_B/B_clk] -master_clock clock_150MHz set_clock_groups –physically_exclusive –group clock_300MHz –group [get_clocks clock_150MHz -include_generated]

Best regards,

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

How about:

create_clock -name shared_clk -period 6.666 [get_nets clk]

create_clock -add -name A_clk -period 3.333 [get_nets instance_A/A_clk]

Regards,
brucey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hy Brucey,

Thanks for your suggestion.

However, I have other logic running at the top above A & B using the shared_clk which should run at 300MHz. 

:-s

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Did you try below in that case

create_clock -name shared_clk -period 3.333 [get_nets clk]

create_clock -name B_clk -add -period 6.666 [get_nets instance_B/B_clk]

How are you choosing between the 150Mhz and 300Mhz clocks? Do you have a MUX? did you check set_case_analyis constraint?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Jeff,

I agree that in your case Brucey's suggestion won't work.

And I don't think Deepika's suggestion will work as well, as -add will only cause an additional 150MHz clock, not overload the 300MHz clock.

I think the following should work:

1) constrain everything as 300MHz

2) constrain everything as 150MHz

3) overload (do not specify -add) the clock input of module B with only a 150MHz clock

4) make sure Vivado doesn't see cross-clock paths between 300MHz and 150MHz

create_clock -name clock_300MHz -period 3.333 [get_nets clk]
create_clock -name clock_150MHz -period 6.666 [get_nets clk]
create_generated_clock -name B_clk -source [get_pins instance_B/B_clk] \
-divide_by 1 [get_nets instance_B/B_clk] -master_clock clock_150MHz set_clock_groups –physically_exclusive –group clock_300MHz –group [get_clocks clock_150MHz -include_generated]

Best regards,

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Vemulad, 

I've tried that but it didn't work as what I want. 

What it does is : it creates 2 names for the same net and analyzes 2 clocks. The slow clock meets timing with huge positive slack. The fast one doest meet timing in both A & B modules. 

In this situation, what i really want is: the tool should not try to route the module B to meet 300MHz. It should relax the routings for B and give "space" to the module A. 

The shared clock is returned from GTX, depending on the line rate, I will get either 150MHz or 300MHz. 

Thanks. 

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Dries, 

This sounds reasonable.

I'll try and let you know.

Regards, 

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer
Awesome!!!!
IT WORKED !!!
THANKS!!!
KUDOS!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

:-)

I'm happy to hear that!

- Dries

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm sorry to reopen this, but I have the exact same scenario, but unfortunately, driesd's solution doesn't seem to work for me (using Vivado 2014.4):

The first create_clock command is fine, but the second create_clock command returns with a critical warning:

CRITICAL WARNING: [Constraints 18-1056] Clock ' clock_250' completely overrides clock ' clock_500'.

"all_clocks" only returns the last clock (clock_250), not both.

The third command "create_generated_clock" fails with

ERROR: [Vivado 12-672] Cannot specify -master_clock without specifying -add.

My guess this is a problem with the my Vivado version 2014.4.

I tried a few things, but unfortunately without success so far:

The following test:

create_clock -period 2 -name clock_500 [get_ports clk_in]
create_clock -period 4 -name clock_250 -add [get_ports clk_in]
create_generated_clock -name fir_clk -source [get_pins design_1_i/hier_slow/aclk] -divide_by 1 -add -master_clock clock_250 [get_nets design_1_i/hier_slow/aclk]
set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group clock_500 -group [get_clocks clock_250 -include_generated]

which gave no warnings, but still resulted in Timing errors in design_1_i/hier_slow/, which showed that a 2ns period constraint was applied to hier_slow

The following test:

create_clock -period 4 -name clock_250 [get_ports clk_in]
create_generated_clock -name fir_clk -source [get_pins design_1_i/hier_slow/aclk] -divide_by 1 -add -master_clock clock_250 [get_nets design_1_i/hier_slow/aclk]
set_clock_groups -physically_exclusive -group clock_500 -group [get_clocks clock_250 -include_generated]

gave a CRITICAL WARNING: [Constraints 18-1056] Clock ' clock_250' completely overrides clock ' clock_500', and  set_clock_groups  failed, because the clock_500 was no longer there.

The following test:

create_clock -period 4 -name clock_250 [get_ports design_1_i/clk_in]

gave no Critical warning and implementation gave no timing errors, so it first seemed to work, but when duplicating hier_slow as hier_fast (connected to design_1_i/clk_in), timing errors should have occurred in hier_fast, but suprisingly timing was met, so I assume, also hier_fast was constrained with 4ns from clock_250, instead of 2ns from clock_500.

It looks as if the constraint generated by create_generated_clock command is also applied to hier_fast, which is bad, as this part still needs to run at clock_500.

Any other ideas on how I can achieve the setup mentioned in the first post to relax timing constraints only for a block B (hier_slow), but keeping strict timing constraints for block A (hier_fast)?

Thanks!

Matthias

0 Kudos