Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Timing problems at low clock

Jump to solution

Hi to all, I'm trying to practice Vivado 2019.2.
I made a simple circuit that takes a 100Mhz clock on the input pin, passes it to a pll which leads it to
400 Mhz.
The 400Mhz sent to a primary divisor by 1,000,000.
Each time the primary counter passes through zero, a second 8-bit counter are incremented.
Every time the primary meter reaches 500,000 I invert a signal which I then use as a DDR clock (2Khz) for the data form the 8 bit counter.
I can't eliminate the errors on Vivado's timing report related to the 2Khz clock (which is centered on the data), maybe I'm wrong the parameters on the xdc.
And I can not describe in xdc the clock at 2Khz shifted and centered on 8 bit data.
What I also want to describe on xdc with set_output_delay is an external 8 bit clocked register, which must sample the clocked data that comes from fpga (2Khz source sync),
whith a Tsetup of 2uSec, and a Thold of 1uSec.

entity top_TEST_LED is
Port ( clk_in_100M : in STD_LOGIC;
clk_to_LEDS: out STD_LOGIC;
led_out : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (7 downto 0);
key_in : in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (1 downto 0));
end top_TEST_LED;

architecture Behavioral of top_TEST_LED is

signal to_leds:std_logic_vector(7 downto 0):=x"00";
signal clk_400M:std_logic;
signal qc:std_logic_vector (31 downto 0);
signal low_clk:std_logic:='0';

component PLL1 is
port(clk_in_PLL: in std_logic;
clk_out1: out std_logic;
clk_out2:out std_logic);
end component PLL1;

COMPONENT COUNTER1
PORT (
CLK : IN STD_LOGIC;
Q : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0)
);
END COMPONENT;

begin

mypll1: PLL1 port map (
clk_in_PLL=> clk_in_100M,
clk_out1=>clk_400M,
clk_out2=>open
);
mycounter1:COUNTER1 port map (
CLK=>clk_400M,
Q=>qc
);

process (clk_400M)
begin
if rising_edge(clk_400M) then
if (qc=x"00000000") then
to_leds<=std_logic_vector( unsigned(to_leds) + 1 );
end if;
if (qc=x"0007a11f") then
low_clk<=not low_clk;
end if;
end if;
end process;
led_out<= not to_leds;
clk_to_LEDS<=low_clk;

end Behavioral;

I attach the project.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Timing problems at low clock

Jump to solution

@thieulam 

Welcome!  

Lots of things in your post for us to discuss.

First, your VHDL low_clk is not a clock.  Even though it looks like a clock, it is only a VHDL signal because it has not been placed in the FPGA clock tree.  -and your create_generated_clock constraint for low_clk needs fixing.

A good way to generate a slow clock is to route a fast clock through a clock buffer (eg. BUFGCE) that has a clock enable, CE, pin.  Then, by properly toggling CE, you can create a slow clock that is in the FPGA clock tree.  This method is described by Avrum in <this> post.  

Next, the create_generated_clock constraint for the slow clock is described by Avrum in <this> post.  

Once your slow clock is placed in the FPGA clock tree and you have the proper create_generated_clock constraint for the slow clock, then timing analysis results should be much improved.  

-then, we can talk about your need to “send data to an external 8-bit clocked register”.

Cheers,
Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Most FPGA tools can't handle clocks generated in logic like that.  Vivado is no different.  You might be able to cheat by placing your clock on a global buffer input--but you'd still need to find a way to tell Vivado what speed your "clock" (which isn't a clock) is running at.

Here's another approach to consider.

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Vivado has create_generated_clock for this pourpose. Is not my case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@thieulam 

Welcome!  

Lots of things in your post for us to discuss.

First, your VHDL low_clk is not a clock.  Even though it looks like a clock, it is only a VHDL signal because it has not been placed in the FPGA clock tree.  -and your create_generated_clock constraint for low_clk needs fixing.

A good way to generate a slow clock is to route a fast clock through a clock buffer (eg. BUFGCE) that has a clock enable, CE, pin.  Then, by properly toggling CE, you can create a slow clock that is in the FPGA clock tree.  This method is described by Avrum in <this> post.  

Next, the create_generated_clock constraint for the slow clock is described by Avrum in <this> post.  

Once your slow clock is placed in the FPGA clock tree and you have the proper create_generated_clock constraint for the slow clock, then timing analysis results should be much improved.  

-then, we can talk about your need to “send data to an external 8-bit clocked register”.

Cheers,
Mark

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

perfect thanks.
Now I will try the solution you recommended.

0 Kudos