UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Why does this multi-cycle constraint fail?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I learn multicycle timing constraints from a past post:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Timing-Analysis/Is-the-multicycle-path-is-valid-for-my-design/td-p/724019

I create a design for a multicycle 2 logic as the above link. clock frequency is 100MHz. In fact, the timing closure is closed even without a multicycle constraint. When I add the multicycle=2 timing constraint, the slack is violated as shown in the screen shot:

mcyc2a.PNG

The project is also attached in this post. What is wrong in the timing file?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Why does this multi-cycle constraint fail?

Jump to solution

The  set_multicycle_path command moves both the hold edge and the setup edge forward by the specified amount. In most cases, this leaves the hold check in the wrong place, which is the failure you are seeing.

If this is a multicycle path between flip-flops on the same domain then you need a set_multicycle_path -hold <N-1> on the path to fix the hold check.

Since your multicycle path is 2 long, you need a

set_multicycle_path -hold 1 -from....

Avrum

1 Reply
Historian
Historian

Re: Why does this multi-cycle constraint fail?

Jump to solution

The  set_multicycle_path command moves both the hold edge and the setup edge forward by the specified amount. In most cases, this leaves the hold check in the wrong place, which is the failure you are seeing.

If this is a multicycle path between flip-flops on the same domain then you need a set_multicycle_path -hold <N-1> on the path to fix the hold check.

Since your multicycle path is 2 long, you need a

set_multicycle_path -hold 1 -from....

Avrum