UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer rakesh_bansal
Observer

clarification regarding combinational flag in create_generated_clock constraint

Jump to solution

Hi @avrumw,

In post :

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Timing-Analysis/Vivado-and-BUFGMUX-timing/td-p/444448

I see that you have mentioned following :

create_generated_clock -name clk1_post -source [get_pins BUFGMUX_inst/I0] -combinatorial [get_pins BUFGMUX_inst/O]

create_generated_clock -name clk2_post -source [get_pins BUFGMUX_inst/I1] -combinatorial [get_pins BUFGMUX_inst/O] -add.

Quick clarification needed :

1) I believe we need to use -master_clock option too, otherwise Vivado (v2017.2) tool throws warning that no _master_clock is defined.

2) You are using -combinational flag because generated clock (out of BUFGMUX) is travelling through combinational logic of mux, right? And that input to this logic (of MUX) is a clock.

Something like :

clockA-->Combo_logic-->clock_out.

In this case combo logic is mux.

a) But if we have simple AND gate of clock gating logic, then also same principle will hold true and we will need -combinational flag to create_generate_clock at output of AND gate w.r.t. the clock coming to inputs of AND gate, right?

b) What if, if the input to mux is another generated_clock based on some source clock. There also can we use -combinational flag? Circuit is something like :

source_clock-->Genereted_clock-->combo_1-->clock_out.

But there is an AR to put constraints :

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59484.html

And there i don't see any -combinational flag in constraints. Can you please let me know what am i missing here?

Best Regards,

RB

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: clarification regarding combinational flag in create_generated_clock constraint

Jump to solution

Please don't post the same question twice. I replied to the question in the other post.

Avrum

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: clarification regarding combinational flag in create_generated_clock constraint

Jump to solution

Please don't post the same question twice. I replied to the question in the other post.

Avrum

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Observer rakesh_bansal
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @avrumw,

I created this new post because the previous post, on which i queried, was closed. And i thought you might not get notification because previous post is closed. But i think i was wrong and you got notification there.

I have updated my reply on same post (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Timing-Analysis/Vivado-and-BUFGMUX-timing/m-p/786960#M12166).

Thanks and Regards,

RB

0 Kudos