UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

inout port input constraint problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Visitor
Accepted Solution

inout port input constraint problem

This is a problem carried over from another thread of mine.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Timing-Analysis/inout-port-OFFSET-IN-constraint-problem/td-p/761764/highlight/false/page/2

I have a design like this (check the attachments for full code, UCF & test bench)..

data_in <= data when (readwrite = '0' and reset = '0') else (others =>'0');

process(clk,reset)

if(reset = '1') then
elsif(clk'event and clk = '1') then

if(readwrite = '0') then

counter <= data_in;

end if;
counter_out <= counter;
end if;

"data" is an inout port & it's value is fed into "counter" if the flag "readwrite" is 0, i.e. in read mode. In this mode, I have a constraint that the "data" port's value must be registered only after 9ns from the rising clock edge, which is done through this line in the UCF.

NET "data[*]" TNM = "DATA_GROUP";
TIMEGRP "DATA_GROUP" OFFSET = OUT 12.5 ns AFTER "clk" RISING;

TIMEGRP "DATA_GROUP" OFFSET = IN 11 ns VALID 20 ns BEFORE "clk" RISING;

When I simulate my design via a test bench, I can see that the input is actually being registered before the 9 ns mark.

data read problem.JPG

Now, as you can see from the post-P&R timing diagram, at the 9 ns mark as pointed to by the 2nd cursor, the value of "data" is 10101010 but at the end of that clock cycle/start of the next clock cycle, you can see that the value of "counter_out" is 01010101 which is the value before the 9 ns mark.

If the data port was read at the 9ns mark as specified by the constraint,
TIMEGRP "DATA_GROUP" OFFSET = IN 11 ns VALID 20 ns BEFORE "clk" RISING;

shouldn't the value at the end of that clock cycle be 10101010?

Thanks,

John

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructor

Re: inout port input constraint problem

The issue is that you have a two-stage pipeline due to the following line being inside the clocked process:

counter_out <= counter;

When I ran behavioral simulation I saw the same issue, so it's not a timing issue.  It's the way you defined the logic.  "counter" updates to the correct value at the clock edge, but "counter_out" only follows "counter" on the following clock edge.  You probably wanted the above line to be outside the process.  Here's a snap from behavioral simulation showing both "counter" and "counter_out":

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

counter_out delayed.png

All Replies
Highlighted
Instructor

The issue is that you have a two-stage pipeline due to the following line being inside the clocked process:

counter_out <= counter;

When I ran behavioral simulation I saw the same issue, so it's not a timing issue.  It's the way you defined the logic.  "counter" updates to the correct value at the clock edge, but "counter_out" only follows "counter" on the following clock edge.  You probably wanted the above line to be outside the process.  Here's a snap from behavioral simulation showing both "counter" and "counter_out":

-- Gabor
counter_out delayed.png
Visitor

Thank you!

I did the required changes based on what you pointed out & carried them over to my main project as well. Both worked as expected.

Thanks again for all your help!