UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer linwei8
Observer

issues with different timing in synthesis and implementation

1. I am wondering why the timing is different in synthesis and implementation, and do we need to fixed the timing error in synthesis?

Synthesis:

Selection_032.png

Implementation:

Selection_033.png

2. I am wondering why some of timing constraints failed to take effect in synthesis but correctly applied to implementation.

For example, one of my constraints in line 300 is "set set_false_path -through [get_nets dut/rx_aresetn]".

They both applied to syn and imp, since i can find them when i open "Edit Timing Constraint" (in both syn and imp tab), but there is an warning in syn says "[Synth 8-3321] set_false_path : Empty through list for constraint at line 300 of proj_v1_wrapper.xdc.".

I didn't find the same warning in the imp, and the the net "dut/rx_aresetn" can both be found in syn and imp.

3. IPs is locked.

There is an warning says "One or more IPs have been locked in the design 'proj_v1.bd'. Please run report_ip_status ". I tried to report the ip, but the result is all ip is up-to-date and no missing file is delected.  How can i solve the problem. I am currently using vivado 2017.1.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: issues with different timing in synthesis and implementation

@linwei8 synthesis timing is only an estimate but implementation timing values are real so you certainly need to close implementation timing but you can use synthesis timing as a guideline. If it's below a couple hundred ps, it's OK to proceed to implementation but too large synthesis timing misses could be very difficult to fix during implementation.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos

Re: issues with different timing in synthesis and implementation

Hi,

As Muzaffer already mentioned that the difference between post-synth timing and post-route timing. You can take the post-synth timing as reference to find out the gaps.
Gaps at the constraint level and the gaps which you really have to fill by changing some RTL. Post-synthesis you can extract lot of approcimated information of timing and as design can take a call, whether this sort of violations need to be handle using some extra constraints for ex. exception/clock_groups etc. or have to go through normal worst case single cycle calculations.

So overall, if you are getting timing fixed at post-synthesis is good if not go and check the final result at post-route. If post-route timing is not met then you really need to worry and start working to close timing for your design.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos