UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jdyke
Visitor

Compatible Signaling Standards

Jump to solution

On the same FPGA HP Bank I am going to supply it with 1.2V and the VREF with 0.6V. Would I be able to use some pins at the LVCMOS12 standard and some pins at the HSUL_12_DCI standard or is there an issue since HSUL_12_DCI needs an 0.6V VREF where as the LVCMOS12 does not need a VREF?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Compatible Signaling Standards

Jump to solution

@jdyke 

Would I be able to use some pins at the LVCMOS12 standard and some pins at the HSUL_12_DCI standard...?
Yes, for UltraScale, because:

• both are available in HP banks
  • both require the same VCCO=1.2V for input and output
  • there is no conflicting need for VREF (ie. LVCMOS12 does not use VREF, and HSUL_12_DCI needs VREF=0.60V)

For more information, see the section surrounding Table 1-77 in Xilinx document UG571.

-and if you accidentally choose incompatible standards, the Vivado tools should warn you.

Mark

3 Replies

Jump to solution

@jdyke 

Would I be able to use some pins at the LVCMOS12 standard and some pins at the HSUL_12_DCI standard...?
Yes, for UltraScale, because:

• both are available in HP banks
  • both require the same VCCO=1.2V for input and output
  • there is no conflicting need for VREF (ie. LVCMOS12 does not use VREF, and HSUL_12_DCI needs VREF=0.60V)

For more information, see the section surrounding Table 1-77 in Xilinx document UG571.

-and if you accidentally choose incompatible standards, the Vivado tools should warn you.

Mark

Visitor jdyke
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello  markg@prosensing.com ,

Thank you for your answer. I ask as I am designing an FMC card for an Ultrascale FPGA and by the time I am looking in the Vivado tool it would be too late!

I am not sure if i should post another question or just piggyback off of this question but, the 1.2V that I am supplying to the FPGA Bank in question, can I use a voltage divider between the 1.2V rail and ground with two 20Kohm resistors in series and just tap the 0.6V there as my VREF? or should I use an LDO and convert the voltage from 1.2V to 0.6V for VREF?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@jdyke 

I am not sure if i should post another question or just piggyback off of this question…
After a thread is marked answered, the people-with-answers don't usually look at it.  So, if I couldn't help with your follow-on question then you might be stuck. 

...about VREF:
On page-22 and page-68 of UG571, it is explained that some banks can generate the INTERNAL_VREF (which is the 0.6V that you mention) using VCCO.  Thus, the externally-applied VREF is sometimes not needed (but VREF pin must be properly terminated).  Where the VREF input must be supplied, I'm not sure what design to recommend.  <Here> is a thread with good info.  

…about powering UltraScale:
It is a challenge!  Be sure to get the specific datasheet for your device and pay particular attention to “Power-On/Off Power Supply Sequencing”,  “Power-on Current by Device”, and “Power Supply Ramp Time”.  Schematics and parts lists are freely available for UltraScale Boards offered by Xilinx.  Looking at the power-supply design on these boards (eg. KC705) will give you some ideas.  

…by the time I am looking in the Vivado tool it would be too late!
Please look at Chapter 2, “Board and Device Planning”, of UG949.  You can get in trouble with these advanced FPGAs if you don't use Vivado to do some I/O planning (and other planning) during board design.

Cheers,
Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos