UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bartz
Visitor

Is the zynq onboard the VCU118 usable for anything

Jump to solution

I have this vcu118 evaluation board.  It contains a z zynq processor.  I am trying to determine if this is usable for anything other than running the scui program to set voltages.  I can find no example code for creating my own programs for this chip, and I am beginning to think xilinx does not intend this to be programmable by the user.  If it is programmable, is there any example code, to get me started?

Ed

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor bartz
Visitor

Re: Is the zynq onboard the VCU118 usable for anything

Jump to solution

I guess I am not being clear.  The VCU118 evaluation kit contains a Zynq 7000 series chip, which is being used as a System Controller.  I am trying to verify my belief that it is not intended for the user to configure the Zynq chip to do anything else.  If so, I should look into some other board, with which I can write code for a Zynq processor to access a bus structure inside an FPGA.

Ed

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@bartz

This is what you have??? https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/design-hubs/dh0049-vcu118-evaluation-kit-hub.html

Or do you have some other Zync MPsoc?

And are you asking about programming of 'hardened cores'?

0 Kudos
Visitor bartz
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yes, I have the 118 board.  If I understand the schematic and user guide, the only purpose of the Zynq is for configuring the clocks and voltages on the board.  There is no way to interface the Zynq to the FPGA to do anything else.  I just want to verify this, before I move on to some other board to better meet my needs.

Ed

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@bartz

I don't think the eval board I posted is an MPSoc...

That being said... if you actually have the board I posted, even without a hardened core, you could implement 'soft' cores, and program those.

Given that, if you have an MPSoc, the hardened cores are indeed fully programmable, both in the FPGA and CPU sense of the word.

Hope that helps

If so, please mark as solution accepted. (Also Kudos are welcome :-)

0 Kudos
Visitor bartz
Visitor

Jump to solution

I guess I am not being clear.  The VCU118 evaluation kit contains a Zynq 7000 series chip, which is being used as a System Controller.  I am trying to verify my belief that it is not intended for the user to configure the Zynq chip to do anything else.  If so, I should look into some other board, with which I can write code for a Zynq processor to access a bus structure inside an FPGA.

Ed

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@bartz

Very interesting... Can you point me to where the Zync processor is called out in that doc set? I would be interested to see.

0 Kudos
Visitor bartz
Visitor

Jump to solution

In the schematic, pages 46 - 49 shows a xc7z010.  The chip has a lot of unconnected pins.  This leads me to conclude that the sole purpose of the chip is to configure the board, not to interface with the Ultrascale fpga.  I was just looking for someone to confirm that, before I look elsewhere for a system to do what I need.

Ed

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@bartz

I see... Thanks... Yes, since they don't advertise it as a feature in product docs, and only appears in the schematic, your conclusion sounds right.