UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor vttmw93
Visitor

Pull-up resistors on Zynq MPSoC SPI interface MISO, MOSI signals

Jump to solution

I am using the xtp427 ultrascale-plus schematic review checklist to review my Zynq US+MPSoC schematic.  The checklist says to place 2.0kohm pull-up resistors on the SPI MISO and MOSI signals near the SPI device (with no other explanation).  I cannot find any other Xilinx documents that recommend a pull-up on MISO, MOSI.  For example, UG583 pg 178 recommends pull-ups on SPI SS pins, but no mention of pullups on MISO, MOSI.  We are interfacing to a Cypress QSPI Flash (S25FL256) which also has no recommendation for pull-ups on MISO, MOSI.  Are these pull-ups really required?  And if so why?

Thanks, Ted

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Pull-up resistors on Zynq MPSoC SPI interface MISO, MOSI signals

Jump to solution

Oddities like this recommendation are generally the response to unexpected operation in the absence of the recommended action. Since the SPI interface can be operated as a master or a slave, it is likely that the circuitry can get confused if the MOSI and/or MISO lines are not pulled high at some point during system operation.

If you wait long enough, you might get a more-official response like this:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/PS-MIO-SPI-pull-ups/m-p/902053

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Oddities like this recommendation are generally the response to unexpected operation in the absence of the recommended action. Since the SPI interface can be operated as a master or a slave, it is likely that the circuitry can get confused if the MOSI and/or MISO lines are not pulled high at some point during system operation.

If you wait long enough, you might get a more-official response like this:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/PS-MIO-SPI-pull-ups/m-p/902053

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Visitor vttmw93
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you very much Joe.  I will include the resistors in my design.

-Ted

0 Kudos