UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

RFSoC DAC to ADC loopback

Jump to solution

I'd like to build in a DAC-to-ADC loopback on the RFSoC for testing. It doesn't appear that the RF Data Converter already has any support for a loopback mode.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't simply loop the output of a DAC back into an ADC in user logic? 

Thanks,
Will

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: RFSoC DAC to ADC loopback

Jump to solution

Hi @wdecook

So you want to build a design where you take data and transmit it out from the DAC then loop this back to the ADC analog input?

Of course this is allowed. 

Just so we are clear there is no internal connection on the die to connect a DAC output to the ADC like you get with the near end loop back mode in the GT. 

One thing you should also look at is RF Analyzer. It is a tool that can be used to control the ADC and DAC tiles. It uses a gui for analysis and you can dump out and load data in the lvm or tdms standard formats from Labview. We also give you some utilities to generate TDMS from Matlab  Mat files. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @wdecook

So you want to build a design where you take data and transmit it out from the DAC then loop this back to the ADC analog input?

Of course this is allowed. 

Just so we are clear there is no internal connection on the die to connect a DAC output to the ADC like you get with the near end loop back mode in the GT. 

One thing you should also look at is RF Analyzer. It is a tool that can be used to control the ADC and DAC tiles. It uses a gui for analysis and you can dump out and load data in the lvm or tdms standard formats from Labview. We also give you some utilities to generate TDMS from Matlab  Mat files. 

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @klumsde

So you're saying that this can't be done internally to the device? Instead, I'll need to route a connection on my pcb between the DAC and ADC. Furthermore, if I want to be able to switch the input of the ADC between the DAC output and some other external RF signal, I'll need an RF mux or some off-board connectors that can be tied together as needed. 

Does this sound correct?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You are correct, there is no path on the die from the DAC output to the ADC input. 

In my case I have the zcu111 evaluation board and I loop the DAC signal back via xm500 card so the loop back is done totally external to the board. This obviously avoids muxing the signal etc

0 Kudos