UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor wang_3130
Visitor

about XCZU3EG-1SFVC784I Power Sequence

Hello

Now i am working on the hardware design for this chip in full power mode refer to below guideline from Xilinx.

Untitled.png

I want to know if the figures (from 1 to 14) are the power sequence? if yes, VPS_MGTRAVCC(10)and MGTRAVTT(11)are powered after VCC_PSDDR_PLL(6)and  VCCO_PSDDR(7), right? 

but according another description, please see below:

Untitled1.png

VPS_MGTRAVCC(10) is powered before  VCCO_PSDDR(7)which is in conflict with above description.

So which one is correct?  which one I should follow? 

it is very urgent.

thanks for quick response!

regards

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: about XCZU3EG-1SFVC784I Power Sequence

@wang_3130 

I want to know if the figures (from 1 to 14) are the power sequence? if yes, VPS_MGTRAVCC(10)and MGTRAVTT(11)are powered

No, the numbers don't represent power sequencing. Since rails are clubbed together, they just indicate the number of regulators required for each scheme mentioned in UG583 i.e. the 4 Power Supply Consolidation schemes. 

If you notice in Table 1-19, it refers to follow Datasheet DS925 for sequencing which is what you need to follow. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor wang_3130
Visitor

thanks for your quick respose!

more questions:

Q1: How to understand below:

Untitled2.png

Q2: Most of the power solution using PMBUS to control the power sequence. my confusion is that when the chip is not pre-programmed (using default register value or factory setting), the power output is only controlled by the enable pin of the chip, this enable pin has no power sequence in schematic design. this means almost all power rails are powered simultaneously. or the chip must be pre-programmed before it is soldered on the PWB board.

please help to clarify.

thanks

0 Kudos

@wang_3130 

1. The LPD has the PMU(Platform Management Unit) and hence the reason of LPD operating before FPD. Below is the figure from UG1085 showing the Power Doamins and Islands

mpsoc_power_islands.JPG

2. Generally when you do a mass production of the board, you pre-program the PMBUS power regulators before assembling on the board or program it post assembling on the board. It varies from customer to customer. If you have the Enable pins, you still can control the sequencing by using Power Good output of 1st regulator tied to the Enable pin of the regulator in next sequence. Its a common implementation scheme used. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor wang_3130
Visitor

i know what you mean, but my question is: take xilinx Demo board for an example, when i first assembled the chip (it is not pre-programmed), all power rails are powered simultaneous, they don't follow the power sequence requirement. 

below is the link of  Xilinx Demo board.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/design-hubs/dh0048-zcu102-evaluation-kit-hub.html

0 Kudos

@wang_3130 The ZCU102 comes with the Maxim Power controller programmed to power the board as per sequence. Do you have a ZCU102 that is not doing the same?

0 Kudos
Visitor wang_3130
Visitor

ZCU102 is ok, i am just thinking the sch design of XCZU3EG, my solution is as list below:

1: first powered on (there is no pre-programmed chip) , sequence is depending on the enable sequence(hardware control).  right? or don't need to control the power enable sequence?

2: Program the Power controller as power sequence.

3: After all, the power sequence is controlled by PMBUS.

0 Kudos
Visitor wang_3130
Visitor

another question about the PS_POR_B.

In the document DS925, PS_POR_B must be asserted Low at power up and continue to be asserted for a duration 10us after all the PS supply voltages reach minimum levels.

but in ZCU102 sch design, the PS_POR_B is released after VCC_PSAUX is powered. At this time the power of PS-FPD is not powered up. why?

0 Kudos
Visitor wang_3130
Visitor

any feedback for above question?

0 Kudos

@wang_3130 

For the first time, if you power all the rails at once, it is fine since the datasheet says, the sequencing mentioned is a recommendation to achieve minimum current draw and have I/O's in 3-state. So for the first time, if you power all the rails at once and then program the sequence using PMBUS to sequence from next time, you should be Ok. 

Let me check on the ZCU102 schematic you refer to and get back. 

0 Kudos