UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor qubits1
Visitor

Can I use SPI config pins as user IO after configuration?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to use D00_MOSI_0 (AC7), D01_DIN_0 (AB7), CCLK_0 (AA9), and RDWR_FCS_0 (U7) as user IO after configuration is done?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Can I use SPI config pins as user IO after configuration?

Jump to solution

I think there is a bit of confusion here. If you say user I/O then we assume you mean general purpose I/O after configuration. We call those dual-mode I/Os. However, you can read/write from/to the SPI flash to your application after configuration. Use the STARTUP primitive to control the appropriate pins required to control the Flash. I think there are appnotes that can guide you in that. I believe XAPP1280 may be your best bet. Or XAPP1191, but that has a lot more in it than just read/write/erase SPI. You could extract what you need from that one as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @qubits1

Which device are you using? Check the respective configuration user guide.

If the pin is mentioned as multi-functional, then you can use them as general IO post configuration.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@qubits1

" D00_MOSI_0 (AC7), D01_DIN_0 (AB7), CCLK_0 (AA9), and RDWR_FCS_0 (U7)"

Looks like its Ultrascale device.

No, you cannot. Pin name usually would start with IO_ something similar to below if it could be used as user IO post config.

Example: D4 Pin can be used as a user IO post configuration.

IO_L22P_T3U_N6_DBC_AD0P_D04_65

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor qubits1
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks. The reason for this question is that I need to access the same SPI config flash device. If I route those same signals to another set of pins on the FPGA, will there contention on the signals? What's the state of the config pins after configuration?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I think there is a bit of confusion here. If you say user I/O then we assume you mean general purpose I/O after configuration. We call those dual-mode I/Os. However, you can read/write from/to the SPI flash to your application after configuration. Use the STARTUP primitive to control the appropriate pins required to control the Flash. I think there are appnotes that can guide you in that. I believe XAPP1280 may be your best bet. Or XAPP1191, but that has a lot more in it than just read/write/erase SPI. You could extract what you need from that one as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor qubits1
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks!
0 Kudos