cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordan
Visitor
Visitor

Can MTS be tested directly on ZCU111?

Hi, I would like to test the MTS function on ZCU111. But after reading the wikipages https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/57803102/MTS+Design+8x8 and https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/57770205/Zynq+UltraScale+RFSoC+Data+Converter+Evalution+Tool#RFSoCRFdcBuildandRunFlowTutorial-AppendixA.1InternalPLLtoExternalPLL, I am still quite confused whether MTS can be enabled and tested directly on the ZCU111 board.

Does a customer-design daughter board with a PLL, which replaces the XM500 board, need to be developed to enable MTS on ZCU111? If yes, are there detailed instructions on how such board may be designed, in particular, which frequency the PLL should be and how the board can be connected to the mainboard? 

I am also a bit confused about why MTS is not enabled on the ZCU111 board in the first place, as the board is mainly designed for MIMO applications which require synchronization between different branches naturally.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
klumsde

Hi @jordan 

It is completely possible to do MTS on the ZCU111 board using the XM500. 

You need to program the RF clocking on the board to enable the SYSREF and have the Design on the Zynq RFSoC enable the MTS feature in the IP. 

Take a look at this blog for a description of what is needed. 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/Getting-in-Synch-with-RF-Data-Converters/ba-p/1071111

Regards, 

Keith 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
jordan
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Keith, Many thanks for your prompt reply. 

However, I am still not sure whether an external clock source is needed to supply clocks to ZCU111 via the clock SMAs on the XM500 board. In several documents, it is always mentioned that an external clock is needed for MTS. Does the external clock mean one already on the ZCU111 board or one to be supplied externally to ZCU111?

In addition, if only doing MTS testing via the Data Converter UI, can PLL frequencies other than 3932.16 MHz be used? 

thanks.

0 Kudos
klumsde

You don't need an external clock here.

The LMK jitter cleaner takes the on chip oscillator and produces the SYSREF in this case. 

You are correct we only support it on one frequency FS = 3932.16Mhz on the zcu111.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
jordan
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your answer, Klumsde.

If I supply an external clock via the SMAs on XM500, can a different clock other than FS = 3932.16Mhz be used for MTS? If yes, how this may be done?

0 Kudos