Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Error : writing data to FPGA manager firmware in Ultrascale+

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to program my PL from PS in my Ultrazed board that has Zynq Ultrascale+. 

I have enabled FPGA manager in kernel configuration  and made available FPGA manager driver in my kernel ( using petalinux 2016.3). When I initially tried writing .bin file of bitstream to firmware, it said " write error: invalid argument" . Can someone shed some light on this error? 

I have referred to other forums and AR like https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68246.html and did those tweeks. Applied the workaround mentioned in pmufw and added it in BOOT.BIN. Still getting this error called "invalid argument"  error when I echo the binary format of bitfile to /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware. 

$mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media
$ mkdir /lib/firmware $cp /media/bitstream.bin /lib/firmware/ $echo bitstream.bin > /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware

right after echoing bitstream.bin, I am getting 

[ 1625.057033] fpga_manager fpga0: writing bitstream.bin to Xilinx ZynqMp FPGA Manager
[ 1625.079420] fpga_manager fpga0: Error while writing image data to FPGA
-sh: echo: write error: Invalid argument  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @pratham, Finally got the FPGA manager driver work with Petalinux 2016.3. I had to update the PMUFW.elf to version 0.2 (2016.4 sdk gives 0.2 version) and include that in BOOT.BIN to get it to work. Also I had to apply the patches to FSBL and U-Boot sources as mentioned in avnet github, to make the booting flawless in Ultrazed.

#Created using petalinux 2016.3

#Added SDHCI and PHY nodes to the device tree files manually , before building.

#Got SDHCI and PHY nodes format from Avnet Github.

#Also added patches to psu_init.c in the FSBL source and platform-top.h in U-Boot sources. Got patch files from Avnet Github.

#Also added memory node address  manually in the device tree. It was a bug in the petalinux 2016.3.

#used SDK 2016.4 to create version 0.2 of PMUFW.elf and included that in the BOOT.BIN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar
Please do not post duplicate.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/UltraScale-Architecture/FPGA-Manager-driver-with-petalinux-2016-3-error-in-writing-data/m-p/780703#M4771
-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @pratham , Sorry for the duplicating the post. I had two accounts in here and accidentally used the other one. I would prefer to use this account to continue the discussion. I will delete the other one soon,

I have followed the http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/FPGA+Manager+ZCU102 . I am able to do the PL programming in standalone mode ( wrapping fsbl, elf file generated by xil_fpga example, and design_1_wrapper.bit.bin ) to BOOT.bin. It was able to program PL with SD card boot.

But with the same .bit.bin file, I am not able to write to firmware from linux as I am still getting invalid argument error. Any other potential reasons coming to mind ?

Thanks
Goutham 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Also, I am afraid if this has to do anything with the petalinux 2016.3 version. I read in another post that firmware built with petalinux 2016.4 has many changes and wont need any patch. Can I build linux image using petalinux 2016.3 with sources of kernel taken remotely from xilinx-2016.4 commit of xilinx git? Can that cause conflicts? I am trying to avoid fresh installation of petalinux 2016.4

0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

@gouthamp I think it is worth doing a clean build of 2016.4 and give it a try.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @pratham

I have tried the same with petalinux 2016.4 and result is same. Also came across a well written blog https://www.invincealabs.com/blog/2017/03/ubuntu-ultrazed/ that uses petalinux 2017.1 , and still result is same. Only variable that I see here is FPGA board. I am using Avnet Ultrazed and not Xilinx boards. But I assume FPGA driver has nothing to do with the board. I have also came across a patch suggested by @debrajr in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/ZynqMP-PL-Programming-Throught-Linux-petalinux-2016-3/td-p/754914 . Planning to apply the patch and try again. 

Please let me know if any other thoughts are coming to you.

Thanks

Goutham

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @pratham, Finally got the FPGA manager driver work with Petalinux 2016.3. I had to update the PMUFW.elf to version 0.2 (2016.4 sdk gives 0.2 version) and include that in BOOT.BIN to get it to work. Also I had to apply the patches to FSBL and U-Boot sources as mentioned in avnet github, to make the booting flawless in Ultrazed.

#Created using petalinux 2016.3

#Added SDHCI and PHY nodes to the device tree files manually , before building.

#Got SDHCI and PHY nodes format from Avnet Github.

#Also added patches to psu_init.c in the FSBL source and platform-top.h in U-Boot sources. Got patch files from Avnet Github.

#Also added memory node address  manually in the device tree. It was a bug in the petalinux 2016.3.

#used SDK 2016.4 to create version 0.2 of PMUFW.elf and included that in the BOOT.BIN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

could you tell me how to update PMUFW.elf ? thanks

0 Kudos