UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How many GC clock should I provide for XCVU9P?

Jump to solution

Hello,I am making a design with XCVU9P. In the schematic of the eval-kit (VCU118),there are more than one clock provided for GC pin of XCVU9P:

1.png

2.png

3.png

5.png

I wonder whether only one GC_Clock is neccessary or not. May be the design in the eval kit is made to be more flexible. By the way,I don‘t know the frequecy range of the GC_Clock input. I refered to the ds923 and I wonder if the FREFCLK is the frequecy range of the GC_Clock input.6.png

Thank you.

Best wishes and desiring for your advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How many GC clock should I provide for XCVU9P?

Jump to solution

@niu_zun  GC pins drives the Global buffers (BUFG), MMCM and PLLs in same region. So look at the specs of BUFG, MMCM, PLL in datasheet for Max and Min frequency. No min value available for BUFG though. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

It depends what you want to do with th eclock in your design.

Esspecialy when you start out, you need to do a basic FPGA design with th eclocks and resets BEFORE you layout a board.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
hello 。thanks for your reply.Can you give me some advice about how I can define the design of the GC-clocks including the frequency input range? I don't know which document to refer to .
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Things like clocks, is up to your design, what do you want to do ,

there is no way we can advize on that ,

As to what frequency range the clock inputs can accept , its in the data sheets,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

hello @ drjohnsmith

thanks for  your answer. I refer to the datasheet ds923. Can you tell me if the Frefclk in this picture is the range of the GC Clock?

Thank you .6.png

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Nope, thats for the iDelay block of the chip.

where are you connecting the Gclk to in the fpga ?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

@drjohnsmith hello,Thanks for your reply. I wanna connect the GCLK  to the Pin( IO_L13P_T2L_N0_GC_QBC
) in the bank 47 as follows:1.png

Which characteristic should I refer to to set the frequency range of GCLK?Thank you .

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
Seems your missing the point here,
The pins are multi capable, their speed is set by what you want to do with them, within the limits of what is capable.
The P in FPGA is for programable.
so you need to design your circuit , routing / what you want to do with these pins to know what you want to do with them,

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I am sorry I  didnt explain what I wanna know clearly. I wanna know what the maximum and the minimum of the GCLK. May be I can refer to the PLL characteristic and MMCM characteristic. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@niu_zun  GC pins drives the Global buffers (BUFG), MMCM and PLLs in same region. So look at the specs of BUFG, MMCM, PLL in datasheet for Max and Min frequency. No min value available for BUFG though. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

@gnarahar  Thank you. Best wishes!

0 Kudos