UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

IBERT Clock Usage

Hi,

I am using an IBERT core on a Virtex Ultrascale part and am having trouble understanding how to use all of the clocks.  The interface I am testing with the IBERT core spans four quads and uses a single reference clock.  However, the IP has several clock inputs (4 bit wide interfaces for gtrefclkx, gtsouthrefclkxx, gtnorthrefclkxx, etc).  

I believe that in the top level file where the IBERT is instatiated, the clocks need to be assigned to either 0 or my physical reference clock but I don't understand what the clocks refer to.

Can you clarify how the IBERT clocks should be connected and what their use is?

Thank you,

Jimmy

ibert_clk.jpg

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: IBERT Clock Usage

As per this option, you only need one GT reference clock driving refclk0 of quad125.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.  I understand how to connect the reference clock at the board level but how do you connect the reference clock inputs required by the IBERT core at the top level of my HDL design?  I am referring to clocks shown on the left-side of the image above (gtrefclk, gtnorthrefclk, gtsouthrefclk, etc).  Should those inputs be driven by the quad125 refclk0, driven to 0, or something else?

Cheers,

Jimmy

0 Kudos

The connectivity to those signals are taken care by the IBERT example. Please check it.

You cannot use the IBERT core as part of a HDL design. It needs to be used as a standalone design.

That is helpful.  Thank you.

However, the IBERT example design makes use of the quad125 refclk1 (MGTREFCLK1 125) by connecting it to gty_refclk1_i[1] and gty_qrefclk10_i[1].  In my board design quad125 refclk1 is unused.  Should I still connect this clock as shown in the IBERT example or should something else be done with it?

0 Kudos

As per the GUI snapshot, the design should have connected MGTREFCLK0 125. Whether you changed the option later?
0 Kudos

The majority of the clocks in the example design are connected to MGTREFCLK0 125 as I setup in the GUI.  I never changed that or specified MGTREFCLK1 125 at a later point.  However, the two clocks I listed in my above post are connected to MGTREFCLK1 125 and I'm not sure why.  

0 Kudos

Please provide the .xci file of the IBERT core you have generated.
0 Kudos

The IBERT core .xci file is attached.  Thanks.

0 Kudos