Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Multiple IDELAYE3s with a single IDELAYCTRL

Jump to solution

Hello,

I understand that when using IDELAYE3 in Component Mode we should instantiate only one "IDELAYCTRL" component in the top level of the design.
And according to UG571 IDELAYCTRL should be driven with the same clock as the IDELAYE3 component.

This raises a question:
Suppose my design has multiple LVDS channels (synchronous to different clocks) and more then one requires the usage an IDELAYE3.
With what clock should the single IDELAYCTRL component be driven ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @shaikon 

As you know The REFCLK_FREQUENCY attribute  of the IDELAY component must reflect the clock frequency applied to the
IDELAYCTRL component.

You  can have the REFCLK_FREQUENCY in the range of 300MHz to 800 Mhz.

Capture.JPG

The reference frequency to the IDELAYCTRL is not depends on interface speed .

Unlike 7 Series the Tap size is not impacted by the REFCLK_FREQUENCY and the resolution is over PVT.

so the conclusion is that you can have only one IDELAYCTRL in the design for different inteface speed. only make sure that REFCLK frequency attribute is set to same value for all the IDELAYE3 instances which  mimic the clock frequency
applied at the IDELAYCTRL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@shaikon,

Not sure, but I think there should be an IDELAYCTRL  for every individual clock.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager
Can someone please confirm this ?
Or provide another answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @shaikon 

As you know The REFCLK_FREQUENCY attribute  of the IDELAY component must reflect the clock frequency applied to the
IDELAYCTRL component.

You  can have the REFCLK_FREQUENCY in the range of 300MHz to 800 Mhz.

Capture.JPG

The reference frequency to the IDELAYCTRL is not depends on interface speed .

Unlike 7 Series the Tap size is not impacted by the REFCLK_FREQUENCY and the resolution is over PVT.

so the conclusion is that you can have only one IDELAYCTRL in the design for different inteface speed. only make sure that REFCLK frequency attribute is set to same value for all the IDELAYE3 instances which  mimic the clock frequency
applied at the IDELAYCTRL

Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution

View solution in original post