UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Question about Kintex Ultrscale HR Bank @ 1.8V, outputting LVDS signals ...

I searched the message board, and found similar questions, but no definitive answer. 

I have a design that is using a KU035, 1156 package, and BANK 64 is set to 1.8V VCCO.  I have outputs that are both LVCMOS18 and LVDS, and inputs that are at 1.8V.  When I use the LVDS IOSTANDARD for this bank, Vivado gives me an error saying its not a valid IO Standard, use LVDS_25. 

My question is, can I leave the VCCO at 1.8V, and set all of the IOSTANDARDS to be 2.5V (LVCMOS25 and LVDS_25), and have the FPGA transmit and receive data correctly? 

Thanks for the help.
jechambe

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Question about Kintex Ultrscale HR Bank @ 1.8V, outputting LVDS signals ...

Bank 64 is a XCKU065-FFVA1156 is a HR bank, the IOSTANDARD LVDS can only be used in HP banks and IOSTANDARD LVDS_25 is used for banks HR.

Described : https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug571-ultrascale-selectio.pdf

Table 1-55: Allowed Attributes for the LVDS I/O Standards.

In UG571 Table 1-77  is the VCCO and VREF Requirements for Each Supported I/O Standard and for LVDS_25 outputs the Vcco must be 2.5V. 

It is definitely not recommended to power the Vcco at 1.8V on the board while setting the IOSTANDARD to the 2.5V in software. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

So, to sum up:  If you have LVDS I/O in a HR bank in a KU, you need to power that bank from 2.5V and use the LVDS_25 IO Standard.   In turn, any single-ended I/O in that bnk also need to be @ 2.5V as well. 

Both 1.8V and 3.3V are not valid voltages for the BANK then when using LVDS in a HR bank.  

Thanks

Jesse

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@jechambe-koe  Minor clarifications to your statements

If you have LVDS I/O in a HR bank in a KU, you need to power that bank from 2.5V and use the LVDS_25 IO Standard. 

If using LVDS as Outputs, then VCCO needs to be at 2.5V only. If you have LVDS as "only" Inputs in that Bank, you can  have VCCO other than 2.5V provided you follow the caveats that come with it. Check Note 1 under Table 1-77 of UG571 referred by sandrao. 

Both 1.8V and 3.3V are not valid voltages for the BANK then when using LVDS in a HR bank.  

True if LVDS are Outputs. If "only" Inputs refer to above statement on VCCO. 

In turn, any single-ended I/O in that bnk also need to be @ 2.5V as well.  

Single Ended you are much much restricted by the VCCO of that Bank and so yes. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

@jechambe-koe this AR is for 7 series https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43989.html but it is quite likely to apply to ultrascale too.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.