UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer rgebauer
Observer

RF Data Converter cannot be configured in Vivado 2018.3

I just tried to update an existing (and running) project for the ZCU111 evaluation board, running with Vivado 2018.2.1, to the new Vivado 2018.3. I encountered multiple problems, for some I found a workaround but some seem to be unresolveable...

My system: Vivado 2018.3 on CentOS 7.5, using locale de_DE.utf8

Steps to reproduce:
- Open new Vivado Project for ZCU111
- Add "RF Data Converter" (RFdc) IP core
- Double click to configure
- Activate DAC
- Set some Sampling rate, e.g. 4 GSPS, and configure the DAC, e.g. 4 Samples per AXIS cycle and 8x interpolation.

1. Trying to configure the RFdc block, I always got errors like the following although the same configuration worked fine in Vivado 2018.2:

Invalid long/float value '125,000' specified for parameter 'AXI4-Stream Clock (MHz)(DAC1_Fabric_Freq)' for BD Cell 'usp_rf_data_converter_0'.

It turned out that the numbers are correctly parsed but internally at some point probably represented as string again, using the locale number format but to parse, the English format is used. (see the comma in the number)
Quick fix (Linux): prepend "LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8" in front of the Vivado command. -> should be fixed nevertheless

2. When trying to set the decimation mode of the ADC, I get the following error:

ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-3461] Value '8' is out of the range for parameter 'Decimation Mode(ADC_Decimation_Mode01)' for BD Cell 'rfdc' . Valid values are - 0
ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-3461] Value '8' is out of the range for parameter 'Decimation Mode(ADC_Decimation_Mode03)' for BD Cell 'rfdc' . Valid values are - 0

The same error appears when configuring the block in the Vivado GUI although nothing on the screen is marked in red before and it seems to work fine...

Screenshot_2019-01-08_15_11_30.pngNo error in GUI but clicking "OK" results in these errors.

Any help is appreciated. For me it seems like this is a bug but maybe I am just missing a right configuration?

I also experienced some strange behaviour in the Configuration GUI overall, missing and unsorted entries in dropdown lists, quite long delays after changing a value before other fields are re-evaluated...

16 Replies
Highlighted

Re: RF Data Converter cannot be configured in Vivado 2018.3

There is a known issue with upgrading to 2018.3.

It is to do with DAC interpolation. 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71853.html

However it doesn't match what you are seeing here. 

I would suspect the problem is with the locale.

Is there a way for you to temporarily change it to say en_US.UTF-8?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer rgebauer
Observer

Hi @klumsde
Thanks for your fast response.
The first problem is due to the locale, and I could "fix" it by defining "LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8" which temporarily sets the locale for Vivado to GB.
The second problem is unaffected by this change and persists also with changed locale (both in TCL batch mode and in the GUI).
0 Kudos

OK let me give this a try from scratch here. 

If I can reproduce I can flag it with the IP team

0 Kudos

Hi @rgebauer

I have tried this myself and can't see an issue.

I didn't use CentOS since it is not easily available. 

can you try do this with a script?

Keith 

0 Kudos

For Example

create_ip -name usp_rf_data_converter -vendor xilinx.com -library ip -version 2.1 -module_name usp_rf_data_converter_0
set_property -dict [list CONFIG.ADC0_Sampling_Rate {4} CONFIG.ADC0_Refclk_Freq {4000.000} CONFIG.ADC0_Outclk_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.ADC0_Fabric_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode00 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width00 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode01 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width01 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Slice02_Enable {true} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode02 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type02 {0} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width02 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Slice03_Enable {true} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode03 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type03 {0} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width03 {4} CONFIG.DAC0_Enable {1} CONFIG.DAC0_Sampling_Rate {4} CONFIG.DAC0_Refclk_Freq {4000.000} CONFIG.DAC0_Outclk_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.DAC0_Fabric_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.DAC_Slice00_Enable {true} CONFIG.DAC_Data_Width00 {4} CONFIG.DAC_Interpolation_Mode00 {8} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Type00 {0} CONFIG.DAC_Slice01_Enable {true} CONFIG.DAC_Data_Width01 {4} CONFIG.DAC_Interpolation_Mode01 {8} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Type01 {0}] [get_ips usp_rf_data_converter_0]
generate_target {instantiation_template} [get_files /home/klumsde/rfdc_ip_forum/rfdc_ip_forum.srcs/sources_1/ip/usp_rf_data_converter_0_1/usp_rf_data_converter_0.xci]

0 Kudos
Observer rgebauer
Observer

Hello @klumsde

Thanks for your assistance. I retried now and it also works if I directly configure it this way - sorry for the confusion.

In the project I use, it is a two step process as the RFdc is first implemented in a minimalistic way so the ZCU111 will run even if it is not used. Afterwards, it is reconfigured to meet the specific requirements..

I isolated a minimal working example to show the bug:

First, create the RFdc with "minimal configuration":

set rfdc [ create_bd_cell -type ip -vlnv xilinx.com:ip:usp_rf_data_converter:2.1 rfdc ]
set_property -dict [ list \
CONFIG.Converter_Setup {0} \
CONFIG.ADC0_Enable {0} \
CONFIG.ADC0_Fabric_Freq {0.0} \
CONFIG.ADC_Slice00_Enable {false} \
CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode00 {0} \
CONFIG.ADC_Slice01_Enable {false} \
CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode01 {0} \
CONFIG.ADC_NCO_Freq10 {0} \
CONFIG.mADC_Enable {0} \
CONFIG.mADC_Fabric_Freq {0.0} \
CONFIG.mADC_Slice00_Enable {false} \
CONFIG.mADC_Decimation_Mode00 {0} \
CONFIG.mADC_Slice01_Enable {false} \
CONFIG.mADC_Decimation_Mode01 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode00 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode01 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode03 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode10 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode11 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode20 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode21 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode30 {0} \
CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode31 {0} \
] $rfdc

Set RFdc setup to "Advanced" (copied from the Tcl Console in Vivado):

set_property -dict [list CONFIG.Converter_Setup {1} CONFIG.ADC_NCO_Freq01 {0} CONFIG.ADC_NCO_Freq11 {0} CONFIG.ADC_NCO_Freq31 {0} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode00 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode01 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode03 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode10 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode11 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode13 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode20 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode21 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode30 {2} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Mode31 {2}] $rfdc

Configure two ADC channels:

set_property -dict [list CONFIG.ADC0_Sampling_Rate {4} CONFIG.ADC0_Refclk_Freq {4000.000} CONFIG.ADC0_Outclk_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.ADC0_Fabric_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode00 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width00 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode01 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width01 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Slice02_Enable {true} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode02 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type02 {0} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width02 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Slice03_Enable {true} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode03 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type03 {0} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width03 {4} CONFIG.DAC0_Enable {1} CONFIG.DAC0_Sampling_Rate {4} CONFIG.DAC0_Refclk_Freq {4000.000} CONFIG.DAC0_Outclk_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.DAC0_Fabric_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.DAC_Slice00_Enable {true} CONFIG.DAC_Data_Width00 {4} CONFIG.DAC_Interpolation_Mode00 {8} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Type00 {0} CONFIG.DAC_Slice01_Enable {true} CONFIG.DAC_Data_Width01 {4} CONFIG.DAC_Interpolation_Mode01 {8} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Type01 {0}] $rfdc

This throws me the following log

WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC_Decimation_Mode00' from '0' to '8' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC_Data_Width00' from '8' to '4' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC_Data_Width02' from '8' to '4' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC_Data_Width03' from '8' to '4' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC_Decimation_Mode01' from '0' to '8' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC_Data_Width01' from '8' to '4' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'ADC0_Fabric_Freq' from '0.0' to '125.000' has been ignored for IP 'rfdc'
ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-3461] Value '8' is out of the range for parameter 'Decimation Mode(ADC_Decimation_Mode03)' for BD Cell 'rfdc' . Valid values are - 0
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-3438] Customization errors found on 'rfdc'. Restoring to previous valid configuration.

When executing everything until right after setting the mode I also experience these strange behaviours in the configuration GUI again (but not when configuring everything as desired from the beginning), especially

• Unsorted and missing entries in dropdown menu after changing some other value
  • Long updating times / lagging of the window

Hopefully, you can reproduce the problem with the Tcl commands I sent.

0 Kudos

Hi @rgebauer

I think the problem stems from you dropping the IP into the BD with nothing enabled. 

then afterwards trying to enable stuff. 

If I do this 

set rfdc [ create_bd_cell -type ip -vlnv xilinx.com:ip:usp_rf_data_converter:2.1 rfdc ]
set_property -dict [list CONFIG.ADC0_Sampling_Rate {4} CONFIG.ADC0_Refclk_Freq {4000.000} CONFIG.ADC0_Outclk_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.ADC0_Fabric_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode00 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width00 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode01 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width01 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Slice02_Enable {true} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode02 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type02 {0} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width02 {4} CONFIG.ADC_Slice03_Enable {true} CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode03 {8} CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type03 {0} CONFIG.ADC_Data_Width03 {4} CONFIG.DAC0_Enable {1} CONFIG.DAC0_Sampling_Rate {4} CONFIG.DAC0_Refclk_Freq {4000.000} CONFIG.DAC0_Outclk_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.DAC0_Fabric_Freq {125.000} CONFIG.DAC_Slice00_Enable {true} CONFIG.DAC_Data_Width00 {4} CONFIG.DAC_Interpolation_Mode00 {8} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Type00 {0} CONFIG.DAC_Slice01_Enable {true} CONFIG.DAC_Data_Width01 {4} CONFIG.DAC_Interpolation_Mode01 {8} CONFIG.DAC_Mixer_Type01 {0}] $rfdc

No issues. 

0 Kudos
Observer rgebauer
Observer

@klumsdeYou are right, that is exactly what I am reporting.

But reconfiguring the RFdc should work I would guess? Therefore I currently see two bugs/issues:

• Incorrect usage of the locale (first error)
  • Reconfiguration fails although it shouldn't

Concerning the second error, I can also report that it seems to correlate with how I initially configure the RFdc... So if I let the advanced mode untouched and simply do:

set_property -dict [ list \
CONFIG.ADC0_Enable {0} \
CONFIG.ADC0_Fabric_Freq {0.0} \
CONFIG.ADC_Slice00_Enable {false} \
CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode00 {0} \
CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type00 {3} \
CONFIG.ADC_Slice01_Enable {false} \
CONFIG.ADC_Decimation_Mode01 {0} \
CONFIG.ADC_Mixer_Type01 {3} \
] $rfdc

I can reconfigure the RFdc without getting any errors.

0 Kudos

The problem with the locale will never be fixed. 

The tools only support English/Japanese/Chinese languages. This is called out in I think the vivado licensing and install guide. 

I have enough to reproduce it. I agree in principle that you should be able to upgrade it. 

I have a feeling that there is a dependency on the Simple/Advanced mode and switching between the two 

0 Kudos
Observer rgebauer
Observer

@klumsde

Concerning the configuration, I agree that this might be related to the Advanced mode. I just want to stress again that the code works flawlessly in Vivado 2018.2, and that the error occurs also when configuring everything from the GUI in severall steps witbout showing any inconsistencies before trying to leave the configuration window for the second time. So it seems to be related with the updated IP configuration in Vivado 2018.3.

Refering to the issue with the locale, I have to complete disagree with your opinion and I am a bit confused that you think this is somehow "expected behaviour". Also here, I like to point out that it worked without any problems in Vivado 2018.2, although my system's locale was German from the beginning (starting from Vivado 2016.x I never experienced such problems so far). The RFdc is also not the only core that has to handle floating point numbers, and e.g. the clocking wizard doesn't throw such an error, also not in 2018.3.

Having said that, I truely believe that there went something wrong when converting the number internally. I guess that at some point, a conversion happens without being explicitly specified that the en_US locale should be used so the program uses the system default one. As I never experienced this problem before, I expect that this is handled differently in other IPs and also in the RFdc of 2018.2.

I do not expect to get "language support" for German or anything in the sense that I want to have a German UI or people talking German to me if I experience any issues. But at least Vivado should work without errors on my system, independent of the locale I prefer to use there. Also, judging from UG973, as I am using CentOS 7, I indeed seem to fulfil the system requirements as I do not see any locale requirements in there (what would be a bad joke anyhow)...

Thanks that you will hand this over to the development team and for your effort so far.

0 Kudos

Hi @rgebauer

I showed this to the IP developers.. 

So the good news is that the IP behaviour was spotted already during some internal testing of the GUI. 

It has been fixed in the 2018.3.1 release of Vivado.

It seems to be related to changing from Simple to Advanced mode while not making any changes to the IP set up... 

For now the workaround is not to try change from Simple to Advanced if you are not adjusting a specific setting.

WRT the question on the Locale, I don't specialize in design tools but I know that we only support English/Chinese and Japanese language settings on the machine running the tools. You should understand what supported really means in this context. It means the tools would be tested and verified with the specified language settings. 

This is not to say that the german/french/spanish/norwegian/.... locale will stop the tools "working" but you are prone to running into problems like this particularly with numbering. You can't even be sure that an issue will appear from one version to the next because it is not covered in regression testing of IPs, as you have seen... 

If you wish you may post your specific locale questions to this forum

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/bd-p/INSTALLBD

I wish you luck, but I expect the answer to the locale question will not be drastically different to one you got here. 

Regards, 

Keith 

0 Kudos
Visitor pice
Visitor

Hi @klumsde,

where do we find Patch 1? or is there a release date yet?

Bests

Nick

Hi @pice

There is no patch to fix a problem like this. 

In this case you are only going to be impacted if you change the IP configuration from Simple to Advanced without changing another parameter. 

Avoid this and all will be well. 

If you are also having issues due to your locale then defining "LC_ALL=en_GB.utf8" which temporarily sets the locale for Vivado to GB will allow you to work. 

Keith 

0 Kudos
Visitor pice
Visitor

Hi @klumsde,

To be a bit more precise:

In the download section this Patch 1 or Release Candidate 1 of Vivado 2018.3 (2018.3.1) that you have mentioned can not be found.

Observer rgebauer
Observer

Hi @klumsde

Referring to your answer:

So the good news is that the IP behaviour was spotted already during some internal testing of the GUI. 

It has been fixed in the 2018.3.1 release of Vivado.

can you maybe hint us to the 2018.3.1 release of Vivado?

On https://www.xilinx.com/support/download.html I found only 2018.3 and no Patch to upgrade to 2018.3.1 (that is also what @pice was asking, I guess).

Best, Richard

0 Kudos

Hi @rgebauer @pice

I need to check, it should be soon but it is normally subject to change. 

Keith 

0 Kudos