cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFSoC Config File

Using the RFSoC RF Data Converter Evaluation User Interface we have made the external hardware changes to use an external clock. I see that I can write a config file to disable the PLLs, which I beleieve I should do, by setting Enable to 0 for each PLL. However I'm still confused about which paramters need to be set in the .config file. Which parameters need to be set to allow the use of an external clock?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello declan.byrne@nxp.com 

I believe you are talking about *.cfg files that saved in "Config" folder.
You don't need to understand the format of .cfg file to use external clock.

ZCU111_external_clock.png

Just fix the related capacitors on ZCU111 boards

RFSoC_External_Clocking_Source.png
RFSoC Evaluation tool GUI, set DAC/ADC Clock Source to use External clock source, click "Apply", Save the configuration file (so you don't need to all the same step next time) and you are good to go.

Regards
Leo

Highlighted

Configuring as you have I'm still getting this error. Any idea what the issue is?

Also in your above example you have bypassed the PLL but do not have an external reference clock, is this ok?

pll_failure.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello declan.byrne@nxp.com 

Your PLL is not locked.

What is your ADC sampling clock ?
What is your external clock frequency ?
# If it is not the same, you will need to use Internal PLL.

Regards
Leo

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm a bit confused as I'm bypassing the PLL, so why does it need to lock? If I have a misunderstading here please clear it up for me because I think it might be the case. Can you give me an example of entries for the "Clocking Reference" and "Tile Clock Input" ? I think I must be misunderstanding quite a bit here. 

Cheers,

Declan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello declan.byrne@nxp.com 

Are you talking about using external clock source clocking the RFSoC instead of using on board LMK04208 clock output?

Leo pointed out you the way how to use the external clock source. You have to do some rework on ZCU111 board. Romoving the capacitors originally placed between the LMK04028 and RFSoC and mounting the capacitors to connect the SMA connectors and RFSoC. 

Then you can choose the external clock as the clock source in the TRD GUI. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!