Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Recommendation for digital beamforming application

Hi.

I want to design a digital receiver which can do digital beamforming for a phased array of 4 elements. For this application, I need digital channels with sampling rate of about 1Gsps and 8 bits resolution. On the list of FMC for High speed ADCs, I found FMC122 and FMC125 that suit my needs. For testing purpose, I am currently go with four antenna elements but I might need to scale the number of elements up to 16 in the future applications. Are there any cost effective solution (FMCs + FPGA carrier cards) that might meet my requirements? And are there any ADC cards that have integrated DDC in it?

Thank you

Bill 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Recommendation for digital beamforming application

@Bill_Ho,

1Gsps and 4-8 elements.  Got it. What range of delays will you be supporting?  That's pretty critical too.

I recently did some SONAR beamforming.  The beamformer controlled 20 elements, with up to 200 us delay on each element.  The entire design fit nicely in an Artix-7 200T, and would probably even fit in a 35T device.  I imagine your requirements would be somewhat different.  Specificity matters here.

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply. A delay of up to 200 us is fine for my application. I checked evaluation board for Artix-7 200T I found Xlinx Artix-7 AC701 Evaluation Kit. This kit also supports FMC connector which seems appropriate for ADC extension purpose. Do you have any recommendation for pre-built ADC (minimum 8-bits and 1Gsps) modules with integrated DDC? 

Thank you,

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@Bill_Ho,

Sorry, no, I have no recommendations.

I would also caution you, the SONAR solution I built was particular to SONAR.  It's not likely going to work for any arbitrary signaling scheme.  I wouldn't therefore consider your question answered yet.

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for your suggestions anyway. 

Bill

0 Kudos