cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Ultra scale JTAG TDO pin, is it Open collector ?

Jump to solution

I look at the TDO pin of the FPGA with a scope whilst using the sysmon to measure temperature,

FPGA is un configured.

most of the time, TDO look's like a nice square edged waveform,

but

Every second or so, I see a slow rising edge, as one would have with an Open collector , with a rise time of the order of 1 us.

Checked other pins, and all good square edges, checked psu, all good.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
IMG_20170519_102002.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking at UG570 Table 6-1: TAP Controller Pins it says :
TDO Out Pull-up Test Data Out - TDO changes state on the falling edge of TCK and is only active during the shifting of instructions or data through the device. TDO is an active driver output. TDO has an internal resistive pull-up to provide a logic High if the pin is not active.

Thanks,

Sandy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub , Versal Blogs and the Versal Useful Resources .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking at UG570 Table 6-1: TAP Controller Pins it says :
TDO Out Pull-up Test Data Out - TDO changes state on the falling edge of TCK and is only active during the shifting of instructions or data through the device. TDO is an active driver output. TDO has an internal resistive pull-up to provide a logic High if the pin is not active.

Thanks,

Sandy

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub , Versal Blogs and the Versal Useful Resources .

View solution in original post

michael.n.eller
Observer
Observer

UG570 has a note in the revision history for revision 1.11

"Removed TDO from JTAG"

I assume this is referring to the removal of the recommendation to have a 4.7K pull-up on TDO? What was the reasoning behind this change? Is it only because the internal pull-up was deemed sufficient enough or is there another reason that Xilinx modified their suggestion to have a pull-up on TDO?

0 Kudos
michael.n.eller
Observer
Observer

@michael.n.eller wrote:

UG570 has a note in the revision history for revision 1.11

"Removed TDO from JTAG"

I assume this is referring to the removal of the recommendation to have a 4.7K pull-up on TDO? What was the reasoning behind this change? Is it only because the internal pull-up was deemed sufficient enough or is there another reason that Xilinx modified their suggestion to have a pull-up on TDO?

This was in UG583 actually, not UG570.

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

As a matter of practice,

I'd always put a pull up resistor on all the JTAG pins,

If you have TDI conected to the previous TDO , then only one resistro is normal,

but it does make debugging much easier to have even a  0201 resisotr to probe.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

@sandrao 

What sort of value is the internal pull up on the TDO pin

I understood it was of order 50 K , hence the slow rise seen on the trace provided.

I'd always put an external resistor on TDO,

0 Kudos
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @drjohnsmith 

The pullup on TDO should be in the same range as the regular IO. So say Bank 0 is powered at 3.3V the Irpu = 175uA, giving a R of ~19kohm, 

DS.PNG

Thanks,

Sandy

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Yep, thats th elowest value of internal resistance,

but it could be 44 K ohm if its at the low end of current at 3v3,

or 120 K if you rusing the 1v2 IO standard,

QED. I always put an external resistor on the TDO / TDI line,   not least it alows debugging.

0 Kudos