Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quincyq2003
Explorer
Explorer

Ultrascale clock resource issue

Hello

Loot at this ultrascale(xcvu440) clock resource table, the BUFGCE component have 720.

So FPGA internal can be implement 720 different of clock frequency?

Ultrascale_clock_resource.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are 720 BUFGs but I dont think its feasible to use them all for different frequencies, just thinking about it like a Math problem.

"Each Clock Region contains 24 BUFGCEs, 8 BUFGCTRLs and 4 BUFGCE_DIVs. These clock buffers share the 24 routing tracks and therefore collisions may occur resulting in unroutable designs."

You would have to get the 24 BUFGCEs into a clock region and the resources they use would have to be limited to a clock region. 

"There are four GC pin pairs in each bank that have direct access to the global clock buffers, MMCMs, and PLLs that are in the CMT adjacent to the same I/O bank"

The MMCM has 6 outputs, the PLL has 4 outputs, 2 frequencies (and 2 180deg versions).

Out of the four GC pin pairs you would need 3 of them to drive the clock managers so one more to drive directly to the BUFG

That would 6 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 11 clock frequencies inputs/generated in a clock region by my estimation. You can have many more clocks in a clock region but that would a clock input from another region. 

Thanks,

Sandy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub , Versal Blogs and the Versal Useful Resources .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------