UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie edwardbb2mm

Zynq UltraScale+ Power Supply slew rate

Jump to solution

Dears,

Noticed that the datasheet of Zynq requests the minimum ramp up time of each power rails. May refer to the pic as attached.

If the ramp up time (140us) is a little short than the minimum requirement (200us), will there be any unknownd issue? Or will there be any chance damaging the IC?

Thanks for your help

Sincerely

Edward

xilinx zynq.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Zynq UltraScale+ Power Supply slew rate

Jump to solution

The reason for the min rise time is that the devices were characterized and tested to that,

So any faster, Xilinx will not guarantee anything as they have no idea what could happen.  It certainly cannot damage anything, as damage is covered by exceeding absolute maximum specifications in Table 1 of the data sheet, as well as the static electric ESD specifications elsewhere.

l.e.o.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

well noticed,

I have never noticed a minimum rise time,

In practice, I have also never seen a PSU come up that quick

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

Jump to solution

If your supply kicks in faster than 0.2 ms your problem may be of regulation instead. Good regulating PSU tend not to be that fast. Most of them have a few ceramic caps in the 10s of uF that makes them to rise gently and safely without overshoot. 

The only reason I can think of why there is a minimum rise time is the inrush current. If you turn your supply too quickly you may stress things out. 

Jump to solution

The reason for the min rise time is that the devices were characterized and tested to that,

So any faster, Xilinx will not guarantee anything as they have no idea what could happen.  It certainly cannot damage anything, as damage is covered by exceeding absolute maximum specifications in Table 1 of the data sheet, as well as the static electric ESD specifications elsewhere.

l.e.o.

View solution in original post

Newbie edwardbb2mm

Jump to solution

Hi l.e.o. and all,

Thanks for your feedback. I will measure the overshoot and settling time of these power rails to see if there is any chance over the maximum value.

Appreciated

Sincerely,

Edward

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@edwardbb2mm 

Bear in mind that in test conditions you won't see the voltage exceeding the limits because of the protection diodes working hard and getting stressed out. It's after many cycles in the field when things fail even if "things were alright when I tested them". So many centuries of thinking and science and yet so many stupid things... and we want AI... remember that story of those guys wanting to reinforce WWII planes where they found bullet impacts in the returning planes, until some one told them the right thing: reinforce the planes where no impacts where found because these where the ones that didn't return...

0 Kudos