UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor p@vel
Visitor

Zynq Ultrascale+. Mali-400. Direct access via PCIe

Hi everyone! I'm interesting in Zynq Ultrascale+ architecture. My questions are:

1) Is it possible to use and control the Mali-400MP2 GPU by the external PCIe Master directly (without embedded PS) after the system has been configured (PCIe controller, AXI-PCIe bridge and so on)?

2) Is the following scheme right for the case mentioned above: PCIe -> PS-GTR -> PCIe controller ->PCIe-AXI Bridge -> Mali GPU?

I've read TRM but couldn't fully understand these moments.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: Zynq Ultrascale+. Mali-400. Direct access via PCIe

p@vel The gpu is connected to the rest of the system with a set of axi interconnects so in theory what you want is possible (ie you should be able to implement a pcie device and hang off the gpu on this) but the question is why. A Zynq SoC is quite an expensive way to get a pcie attached gpu to your system and not a very powerful one at that.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Visitor p@vel
Visitor

muzaffer, Thanks for the response. I know that in Virtex-6 FPGA ML605 Evaluation Kit I can get an access to the PL from the host PC via PCIe. So I just wondered if it is possible to get an access to the resources of the Zynq Ultrascale+ SoC (such as PL, GPU, PS) if it is used as the core of the expansion board.

0 Kudos
Visitor p@vel
Visitor

muzaffer wrote:

in theory what you want is possible

Can I somehow get an official explanation from official Xilinx technical support? Just to know it for sure before ordering.

0 Kudos
Visitor p@vel
Visitor

I have another two questions:
1) Who is the master on APB bus within the Zynq Ultrascale+ SoC? Is it possible to get an access to the APB bus via PCIe to configure Mali?
2) How often is it necessary to configure/reconfigure Mali GPU. Just once, at the beginning, or may be it is necessary (generally) to reconfigure it (or something else) periodically?

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

p@vel Not specifically about pcie but there is no single master for any bus on zus+ soc. It depends on how the interconnect is designed and I am almost sure that PL has access to all the APB slaves on the PS peripheral side.

As to Mali configuration, one time at startup should be enough if you don't need to change it. This is something I have done successfully ie linux configures a piece of IP and then PL generates transactions to it.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.