cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jt94096
Adventurer
Adventurer

Zynq Ultrascale+ VCCINT_VCU decoupling

I would like to understand the justification for the VCCINT_VCU decoupling listed as a requirement in DS583 v1.19 Table 1-12.

The table lists three 470uF polymer capacitors in addition to roughly 1000uF of ceramic capacitors. I would prefer not to use the polymer capacitors, mainly due to board space. The polymer caps won't help much with step changes in load and my supply already performs well in this respect with much less ceramic capacitance. Therefore I don't see what benefit the polymer caps would provide.

Thanks - Jason

0 Kudos
3 Replies
simon
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jt94096 

If you don't follow decoupling capacitors in table 1-12, you should do PI simulation to meet our spec(the performance of the decoupling networks presented here)

Thanks
Simon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
jt94096
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks Simon,

Does Xilinx have PDN sim results for one of their dev boards such as the ZCU106 that can be used for comparison? Or perhaps an impedance spectrum mask? I am not an expert on PDN simulation but I expect that the regulator performance also plays a role at the lower end of the spectrum.

Given the challenges and costs (in time and money) of obtaining accurate post-layout PDN sim data, we also want to have a sound engineering basis for the PDN design. Our regulator supplier has stated that they see no need for this much bulk decoupling and in fact it tends to be detrimental to the performance of the regulator.

Jason

0 Kudos
IAM_NOT_IAM
Visitor
Visitor

if you have higher DC/DC switch frequency like 2MHz, i think you can reduce the number of 470uF cap

0 Kudos