Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boyerkg
Observer
Observer

updating project to custom board file

Hi All,

We have a new custom RFSOC design that we would like to build off of our ZCU111 board file and design.  When I create a new directory with the board file and image, I cannot get the settings gui to recognize the new board file repo.. I use the following in the tcl window:

set_param board.repoPaths /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.3/data/boards/board_files/new_file_dir

What is the preferred way to do this?

Keith

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @boyerkg ,

This problem is most probably related to error with your modifications of board files.

What is the output of command : get_board_parts *zcu111*

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
boyerkg
Observer
Observer

Ashish,

I see the board part0:2.3 xilinx.com:zcu111:part0:1.1, but you are correct the one I built is not there.

It is unclear from ug895, what changes one should make to the top of the board xml file.  Also, when I give the path for set_param board.repoPaths, do I point all the way down to the level where the board file is, or one up where the version is?  They also talk about the Vivado_init.tcl file, but I don't know where to locate this file.  It would be nice to have the set_param board.repoPaths file in there for automatic configuration.

Regards,

Keith

0 Kudos
boyerkg
Observer
Observer

Ashish,

Thinking about this more today, and I'm assuming we are on totally different time zones, so you'll be seeing this while I am sleeping, I think a better way forward is going to a part design with and xdc only approach.

The issue I had with the xdc approach was that certain pins that have association like the sys clock for the ddr4 make it difficult to figure out how to associate a name in the block design with the pin in the xdc file.  For example: xilinx on the zcu111 board file associate a pin called default_sysclk1_300mhz with user_si570_sysclk_p and user_si570_sysclk_n.  How do I associate this name in my block design with the physical pin, like they do in the board file?  If I can get past this, I can use a part and xdc approach, which is cleaner in my estimation.

Regards,

Keith

0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @boyerkg ,

If there is any issue with your updates to board files or your newly created board files, problems will be shown at tcl console when you type command mentioned in my earlier reply.

For Vivado_init.tcl, it should be noted that this file is not provided with Vivado Design Suite installation. User is supposed to create this file and place it either in installation directory (<installdir>/Vivado/<version>/scripts/Vivado_init.tcl) or home directory ($HOME/.Xilinx/Vivado/Vivado_init.tcl).

While specifying path for set_param board.repoPaths, it is not really needed for you to point all the way down but it makes difference if you have multiple version of board files in single directory. In that case, you should be specific to point all the way to the directory from where you expect board files to be referenced.

Coming to the board file associated of interface (default_sysclk1_300mhz) and physical ports (user_si570_sysclk_p/n), this comes from interface section of board.xml file. You just need to search file board.xml for 'default_sysclk1_300mhz' and you'll understand this relationship. Especially while using ddr4 interface, I would recommend to use board files from ease-of-use perspective (rather than using part based project with separate .xdc approach). Hope this clarifies most of the concerns.

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
n3rdx
Participant
Participant

hello, I would like to contribute to the knowledge base on the XILINX forum and also provide key observation for defining a custom board file - I just spent some time figuring it out. I am using Vivado 2019.2 at the time of writing this note.

On my installation, (Windows 10) I had to make a custom board directory in a location on my hard drive without a space character in the path name. As Windows 10 (and Linux) allows spaces in the directory names, I am not sure if this was a real bug, or a transient, as many other routines are working with directory names (in Vivado) that have spaces. But I can see and use my custom board definition prototype definition - so that is a relief.

I had previously tried to define the directories several times and can show you the result of all those definitions in the attached screenshot. All of the red marked entries are truncated entries (it is evident that the directory path is incomplete, due to the presence of a space character) so it seems the Board Repository application (when a directory is manually added from Settings ... )  uses an outdated directory listing routine .... Xilinx dev team might want to take a look at it. 

Only the TTLLC_Custom_Boards directory worked, which has no spaces in its path. 

Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @n3rdx ,

I have reported this problem through CR. Thanks for notifying it.

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos