cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any IP or support available for RGB to gray scale conversion

Please provide information about XILINX IP supporting RGB to gray scale value with gamma factor 2.2

0 Kudos
7 Replies
florentw

Hi devi2.ramachandran@aricent.com 

There is no IP but I guess you should be able to do it with some of the blocks of the Vision library:
https://xilinx.github.io/Vitis_Libraries/vision/2020.1/overview.html#vitis-vision-library-contents 

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi devi2.ramachandran@aricent.com ,

I agree with @florentw.

You might consider creating custom HLS IP that might fulfill your requirements.

Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
:::::Do not forget to Accept as solution, give Kudo and Share a post that you think is helpful:::::
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi devi2.ramachandran@aricent.com 

I guess you can achieve it, if you use VPSS CSC only IP and GAMMA IP.

Of cause you have to prepare proper factor in VPSS CSC and lut data as gamma curve is 2.2 in GAMMA.

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Yes I have tried custom hls ip. It's working.  But facing dsp4e slices limit crossed than available. Trying to reduce that. Since complete process is pipeline in floating point rgb to grey scale conversion, taking more dsp slices in default 

0 Kudos

Not yet. But I have checked this option. Let me check. Any idea about reducing dsp slices in hsl custom ip 

0 Kudos
reaiken
Explorer
Explorer

devi2.ramachandran@aricent.com 

If you want to reduce DSP slice usage, you can do the RGB->Gray scale conversion using distributed logic fixed-coefficient multipliers.

Gray-scale conversion can be implemented by doing an RGB->YUV conversion matrix for only the Y path output.  

For example, for NTSC RGB to YUV  colorspace conversion:

Y = 0.2990*R + 0.5870*G + 0.1140*B
U = 0.7010*R - 0.5870*B - 0.1140*B
V = -0.2990*R - 0.5870*B + 0.8860*B

If you take only the Y equation, you will need three multipliers and an adder to sum the multiplier results.

Since the multiplier coefficients never change, you can use a fixed-coefficient multiplier instead of a full multiplier to reduce resource usage.  

Also, you don't need to do a floating-point multiply, since the input RGB data is only 8-bit fixed data.   If you scale the floating point coefficients to appropriate fixed-point numbers, you can use a fixed-point multiplier.

For example, using 9-bit format for the coefficients, the 0.2990 R multiplier coefficient is 153, the 0.587 G multiplier coefficient is 301, and the 0.114 B multiplier coefficient is 58.  These 9-bit coefficients should give sufficient resolution for 8-bit RGB colorspace conversion to monochrome.

Since each of the three multiplier outputs will be of different size (R = 16 bit, G = 17-bit, and B=14-bit) you will have to add them all to get a 17-bit result and truncate or round the result to use the upper 8-bits for the 8-bit monochrome output.   This can all be easily implemented in a custom Verilog or VHDL module, or you could implement it in HLS.

maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

@reaiken Perfect answer!  And nice of you to take the time to share.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***