cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meshlya
Visitor
Visitor

Audio Signals

Hello I have 2 signals each one is coded on 32 bits .I am using ZedBoard and a headphone and I want to pass this signals through the line out output so that I can hear the audio signal 1 on the right channel and signal 2 on the left channel is there any idea how can I do that or any tutorial or IP that helps me?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Meshlya
Visitor
Visitor

My data is code on 32 bits and the I2s bus support maximum 24 bits is there any solution to transmit my data.

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @Meshlya 

Unfortunately, you can't achieve what you want to do, if you use ZedBoard.

Because there is Analog Devices ADAU1761 which supports 24bits data as DAC on ZedBoard.

Would you change DAC to ex. TI PCM5122 which supports 24bit/32bit data as DAC, if possible ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

At risk of pointing out the obvious, 24-bits gives you a maximum dynamic range of 144dB... 32-bits much greater than that... When you consider limiting factors such as human hearing, amplifier noise, etc. in the effective system - I suspect you'll be hard pressed to discern anything even close to 24-bits in your setup... Doing something like simply truncating your 32-bits to something like 24-bit (or even 16-bits) is likely more practical. But it isn't obvious what you are trying to do...But I guess my message is the full 32-bits are not significant for any audio scenario I've seen.

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I guess I should point out that my comment was meant significantly in the context of the final output stage ion the digital domain, e.g. feeding the DAC input... I can see where more resolution could potentially be useful in the context of mixing many channels, intermediate bit width growth in filters, etc. up-stream. The practical audio fidelity of systems in outside the scope of the discussion here, but you'll find many resources where people argue convincingly that "24-bit bits is enough" at the output. Then of course this feeds corresponding discussions on "how good are these bits anyway" in the context of noise, distortion, crosstalk, linearity, etc. for the amplifiers, DAC quality - not the mention human perception, etc.

0 Kudos