Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Capabilities of VCU in MPSoC/EV

Jump to solution

Hi all

I'm investigating about capabilities of VCU in MPSoC/EV series.

Can anyone tell me the following question ?

[Question]

Q1) Do MPSoC/EV series have a capabitities for decoding 16 video streaming data ?

Q2) If Q1's answer is yes, how do I calculate or estimate frame rate ?

Q3) If Q1's answer is no, I guess the capabilities of VCU (decoding video streaming) are 8 video streaming. Can I decode other 8 video streaming by software ? If yes, could you share example code or like application note ?

Best regards,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Capabilities of VCU in MPSoC/EV

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

Q1) Do MPSoC/EV series have a capabitities for decoding 16 video streaming data ?

[Florent] - No you can decode only 8 streams simultaneously. And the total bandwidth of these 8 streams have to be in the same bandwidth as 1 4K@60 (ex. you can do 8 * 1080p30 or 8*720p60 ). However, if you have no real time constraint, you can always decode the streams one by one or 8 by 8.

[Florent] - The total BW of the 8 streams need to be in the 4K@60 BW

Q3) If Q1's answer is no, I guess the capabilities of VCU (decoding video streaming) are 8 video streaming. Can I decode other 8 video streaming by software ? If yes, could you share example code or like application note ?

[Florent] - You could decode by software but I am not sure what performance you will get. You might be able to find other IPs to decode in the PL.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

[Florent] - No you can decode only 8 streams simultaneously. And the total bandwidth of these 8 streams have to be in the same bandwidth as 1 4K@60 (ex. you can do 8 * 1080p30 or 8*720p60 ). However, if you have no real time constraint, you can always decode the streams one by one or 8 by 8.

[Florent] - The total BW of the 8 streams need to be in the 4K@60 BW

[Florent] - You could decode by software but I am not sure what performance you will get. You might be able to find other IPs to decode in the PL.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw

Thank you for your explanation.

Got it.

We will consider EV device and an investigation about VCU.

Best regards,

Thanks a lot.

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

I think now you can simultaneously decode 32 streams (aggregate BW of 4k@60 fps)with the new vcu-ctrl-sw.

32streams.PNG
0 Kudos