cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Color Space Conversion VPSS dropping frames

Jump to solution

I am working on a design for a xczu4cg-fbvb900-1. I am using a Video Processing Sub-system in Color Space Conversion Only mode with Vitis 2020.1. It appears that it is dropping every other frame. Using ILA I am seeing TUSER asserted at the input as expected at every frame, but only asserted every other frame at the output. I am at a loss as to how this is happening, or what to look at to fix it.

This test case is converting from RGB to YUV422. Is there any reason that TUSER (frame start) at the output would be delayed by more than a line at the output? (I can only see about a line with the ILA)

Thanks,
Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

andy.martin@videon-central.com 

Back-pressure comes from the back of the design towards the front, so the throughput is set by the AXI stream consumer of the data.   If it can't keep up with the producer of the data, it will take TREADY low and stop the pipe until it can catch up.

I've used the VPSS in CSC-only mode hundreds of times and have never seen that issue.

What is the VPSS driving?   A VDMA?

Are you running 1 pixel-per-clock, or 2PPC or more?  Does your AXI stream path have enough bandwidth to handle the data at the AXI clock rate?   Are the frame rate settings for your VPSS IP SW correct?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

andy.martin@videon-central.com 

Back-pressure comes from the back of the design towards the front, so the throughput is set by the AXI stream consumer of the data.   If it can't keep up with the producer of the data, it will take TREADY low and stop the pipe until it can catch up.

I've used the VPSS in CSC-only mode hundreds of times and have never seen that issue.

What is the VPSS driving?   A VDMA?

Are you running 1 pixel-per-clock, or 2PPC or more?  Does your AXI stream path have enough bandwidth to handle the data at the AXI clock rate?   Are the frame rate settings for your VPSS IP SW correct?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi andy.martin@videon-central.com 

It seems system issue.

Would you make sure your whole design and whether you set proper parameter and clock frequency or not ?

Also, to share your whole design is better way to get some useful suggestion.

Best regards,

Highlighted

@reaiken ,

Thank you for the advice. I found that there was another part of the pipeline that was stalling the video, and it made it look like the problem was the VPSS. Moving forward again...

Thanks,
Andy