Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Connect FMC board with FPGA

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to connect MIPI FMC with FPGA(ZCU104) and I have few doubts about how to connect them.

1. Do I need to get the board files of MIPI FMC card(Inrevium) and add it along with FPGA board files? C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2019.2\data\boards\board_files

At the time of creating the project Vivado is asking to add daughter board. But I donot have the files for this board. Is it mandtory to add?

2. For MIPI the pin configurations are taken care of by the their IPs. So, I donot need to define it xdc file. Is it correct?

3. Is there any thing else that I need to take care for connecting these two boards?

Any help would be appreciated.

With Regards,

Saini 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

HI @saini 

To summarize: For connecting the FMC board to ZCU104, I only need to select the valid IO banks directly from the IP GUI. No other setting/configuartion/defination is required. 

Plus the constraints for the XDC for the IIC lanes.

And of course you need to have the valid configuration for the IP itself (just use the one from the ZCU102 example design apart from the IO selection tab)

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted

As far as I know you only need board files for the board where the FPGA you are going to design is, not for any daughter card.

I have never seen Vivado asking me to add any board when creating a project. Even so, adding a board is one thing, adding board files to a project is another.

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi @archangel-lightworks ,

thank you for your quick reply.

Please check the Picture attached. Are point 1 & 2(mentioned in pic) are necessary for the design?

vivado.PNG

Saini

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Good to know, I didn't noticed that before.

In my case (I haven't used ZCU104 in this machine) there are some built-in options. If none of them is good for you, then I guess you need to browse for that connections file, that should be provided by the daughter card's manufacturer.

If it isn't, then I think you will just have to name the connections manually from the schematics, just a tedious thing.

At the end of the day, there isn't anything magic in those board files, it just brings some things like pin names and locations, etc.

Untitled.png
Highlighted

To explicitly answer your question (points 1 and 2), these files bring necessary information, you can either get and add those files (preferred) or enter the same information manually (that takes time and there is the risk of errors), so better get them.

Highlighted

HI @saini 

Just to add on @archangel-lightworks 's answer which is the correct answer.

Having the board file can help you with the automation but this is not required.

If you are using the ZCU104, there is an existing design using the MIPI FMC card:
https://github.com/Xilinx/Embedded-Reference-Platforms-User-Guide

Note that even the example design integrated into vivado (for the ZCU102) is not using the FMC board file, only the XDF fie

Florent
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi @archangel-lightworks ,

thanks for your fast response.

For now, I dont have the board file with me. So, I want to proceed manually.

@florentw I have checked the xdc file for zcu102 example, but there is no pin related to MIPI defined. But the IO bank is selected from the MIPI DSI, CSI IPs. So, for the ZCU104 do I need to select the IO bank from the IP and thats it or do I need to define anything else?

I have found this xdc file from your mentioned link. Is these are the only pins that I need to take care of? How can I select a suitable pin for my FMC board?

pin.PNG

Saini

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @saini 

Sorry I forgot that for US+, the pin planning for the MIPI RX subsystem is done directly within the IP. So the IP will generate the XDC file for the MIPI clock and data lanes.

So you will have to do the setting directly inside the IP.

What you see in the XDC file are the IIC lanes to program the camera

Florent
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi @florentw ,

To summarize: For connecting the FMC board to ZCU104, I only need to select the valid IO banks directly from the IP GUI. No other setting/configuartion/defination is required. 

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Saini

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @saini 

Plus the constraints for the XDC for the IIC lanes.

And of course you need to have the valid configuration for the IP itself (just use the one from the ZCU102 example design apart from the IO selection tab)

Florent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos