Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

FFT7.1 for audio applications

Hi, 

I´ve implemented an fft7.1 core from simulink xilinx blockset. It´s working fine. I want to transform audio signals and my only Problem now is, that i always get overflows, when I go a little bit highter with the Amplitude. I tried to scale the input amplitude with a cmult block down, but it just helps a little bit. The input amplitude is about 1.3V and I multiplied it by 0.6 (scale_sch = 302) and the overflows come at an 675mV input amplitude.

Now I tried to multiply by 0.2 and the overflows are at 820mV (same scale_sch). 

Is there anybody with some experience in those things?

What can I do to get no overflows? Why is the cmult block not really helping to solve it and which scale_sch could be helpful?

Regards Jan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You may want to even out scale schedule so the output is scaled after each stage. For your scaling schedule of 302, you could try scale_sch=122, which scales the output by the same 5-bit, but they are distributed to all 3 stages.

@janscholz wrote:

Hi, 

I´ve implemented an fft7.1 core from simulink xilinx blockset. It´s working fine. I want to transform audio signals and my only Problem now is, that i always get overflows, when I go a little bit highter with the Amplitude. I tried to scale the input amplitude with a cmult block down, but it just helps a little bit. The input amplitude is about 1.3V and I multiplied it by 0.6 (scale_sch = 302) and the overflows come at an 675mV input amplitude.

Now I tried to multiply by 0.2 and the overflows are at 820mV (same scale_sch). 

Is there anybody with some experience in those things?

What can I do to get no overflows? Why is the cmult block not really helping to solve it and which scale_sch could be helpful?

Regards Jan

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos